This got my attention today--Posted on Facebook and another forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Cave.jpg

Jim, thank you for posting this. I posted a PSA to the UF Scuba Club Facebook site before heading off for my evening work-out, and I just logged into Scubaboard to copy and paste that PSA to the "How to pick a cave instructor" page that is stickied here.

Here's what I wrote (and what I'll put in the sticky):

Public safety alert for those of you taking, recently taken, or are considering taking a cavern course.

All agencies require their cavern instructors to be in full cave gear while teaching or guiding cavern students. This means the instructor should be wearing either backmount doubles, or sidemount twin cylinder configuration. This is for YOUR SAFETY in the event that something goes pear shaped during a training dive. This is to make sure your instructor has enough air to get the student out of the overhead environment, and redundant equipment in the event of a failure.

Folks, there is an individual that is putting cavern students potentially in harms way. I do not know the name of the individual, but it was posted on the cave divers forum that he took a cavern student well into a cave system while he himself was wearing open water gear (single tank, no redundant first stage).

If you are taking a cavern class and your instructor wants to teach it in a single tank configuration, run away. That instructor does not care about you or your welfare.

When considering a cavern course, be sure to interview your potential instructor. A competent cavern instructor should have plenty of cave diving experience (minimum of 100 non-training cave dives), should have interned and assisted / apprenticed with at least three other cavern instructors, and should regularly practice these skills. Ask your potential instructor how many non-training cave dives they have done, who they apprenticed with, and how often they go cave diving.

This is very alarming on many counts. I am glad you said something Capt Jim Wyatt. The PSA by kensuf is diplomatic and very necessary. You both did your part to save lives. Thank you.

I saw this and followed that thread on the other forum. I don't know the outcome of what happened, but the "instructor" was reported the agency in which he represents. Frankly, I am elated that he stepped up and said something. There is a lot of internet chest pounding about how some would never tolerate such behavior and yet never say or do anything in person. We can't expect instructors to hold students up to a high standards alone, we must also hold instructors themselves to high standards as a community. Think of it as a checks and balances type system.

An investigation was completed by the agency the instructor was teaching under. The investigation found that he was guilty of several standards violations and he was expelled from the agency. As recently as three weeks ago, the instructor was teaching cavern through PADI.

FWIW, I met the student and everything that was alleged to have happened, happened. And then some including no running of a reel in Devil's ear/eye, a traverse, 300' back in the cave, and a few other things.

what agency expelled the instructor? Does anybody know if the violations were also reported to PADI?

If he's learned his lesson and changed his ways, what's PADI to do about it?

Would PADI investigate and /or expel on the prior reports?

This splitfin lovin' instructor would have to be caught violating procedures again, wouldn't he?

This splitfin lovin' instructor would have to be caught violating procedures again, wouldn't he?
yes, however, if he is ever investigated down the line for standards violations the agencies the guy teaches for should be aware of his record with regards

yes, however, if he is ever investigated down the line for standards violations the agencies the guy teaches for should be aware of his record with regards

Spoken for truth.

But, your history could also determine how fit you are to carry on in an instructor capacity. No different than a police officer being fired from one agency for beating the **** out of someone for no reason. An investigation is done and reported to the certification agency (In GA that would be POST) and then POST would have a record or that infraction. Then when the officer goes to another department and applies the POST records are pulled up and that COULD affect your employment chances with that department. SCUBA is zero percent different in that capacity. This is not the same as "double jeopardy". It IS your history and people should be informed of that prior to making a decision about bringing you on board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom