Thoughts about scuba instructors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liquid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As the result of some discussion about related topics (see "diving uncertified thread) I felt it necessary to point out a few points about instructors, and the difference between them and other divers.

Let's start with my view of the good Scuba Instructor:

-A scuba instructor MUST be a good diver. You can't teach people how to dive if you can't do it right yourself! I'd even go further to say that an instructor must be more than good, must be a GREAT diver, in order to be a GOOD instructor.

-A scuba instructor MUST know ALL the basics of scuba, it would be ridiculous if an instructor runs to see the manual for every question. Further more, an instructor MUST know way beyond that, in order to be a GOOD instructor.

-A scuba instructors must know how to communicate with people. Both on land and while diving. He must know (maybe "know isn't such a great word here, but my english is limited) how to "reach" people, in order to teach them.

-I belive that a scuba instructor must be open minded in order to be a good instructor. I believe that keeping an open mind for new ideas is very important.

The only real difference between an instructor and a diver is actually only one, and is, in one word- RESPONSIBILITY. It includes a whole lot of things in it. A diver's main responsibility is himself, and then his buddy. An instructor is responsible first for other people's lives, and usually of those that come to a totally new environment, and only then himself.

Why do we need instructors?
(could have been as well why do we need agencies?!)
I think most people here know I am not exactly an agency lover. I believe all of the agencies have their flaws, usually very big ones. Still I never said we don't need them, and I don't think I ever will. There must be some kind of regulating, after all, we'er talking life and death here.

Now, it may seem simple to teach scuba, hell it even MAY be simple, but how can anyone know if anyone else is good enough?

This is where the courses come in. For one to become an instructor, he has to go through certain levels. Then he has to take an instructor course, and then he must be tested on it. The whole purpose of this process is to make sure that this person IS good ENOUGH to be an instructor, and stood up to certain standards.

Another thing is "instructing experience". An instructor with 400 dives, will probably be much better in instructing new divers than an o/w diver with 4000 dives for very simple a reason-the "Instructing experience". What is instructing experience?

It's that little bit of experience in instructing people, and teaching them, you get in every course you teach, in every dive you lead, every time you go near other instructors, and listen carefully to what they say (you may catch them on a mistake and go down on them later about it!) because you are interested in the way others do it. For this reason, the first few courses of every instructor are usually not his best. They are however, usually good enough, because he does it (usually) in a special environment- the diving center.

Which leads to another VERY important issue: There is a GREAT difference between someone that was taught how to dive by a friend that is not an instructor. They had to do it in hush hush, taking equipment from others, and filling tanks where no one sees what they do. And, on the other hand a course that is led by a certified instructor (may be a lousy one) in a dive center. If that instructor had the smallest of problems, he could simply ask another instructor, or his boss. Maybe, if it's his first course someone will watch him and see if he's ok.

Let's sum it up, it's been long enough.
We need instructors because they are the only ones that stood to certain standards, and can prove it (by taking a test successfully). Teaching scuba without being qualified for it, in my opinion, is highly not recommended, and dangerous.

I had a few more very intellegent things to say, but I forgot them... :( I'm tired. I hope I will remember and return with them.

Not too create an arguement, but I will disagree with your sstatement that instructors can instruct because they took a course...........now come on ...have you not ever had a teacher in school who just couldn't get their point across or really just couldn't teach?? If you haven't then you have led a charmed life.................I have had them. I know that I would and could learn a helluva lot more from a diver who has dove 300+ dives than from a "90 Day wonder instructor".. Hands down, no arguement. Sure the new instructor has been given guidance on teaching techniques, but please do not make the statement you cannot be a good teacher/instructor because you have not had the training to teach..

Butch :peace:

Instructor is a lot more than....

somebody who can

1) recite the manual chapter and verse,
2) demonstrate any skill,
3) answer any question, and
4) spin a dozen "when I was diving with Cousteau" stories

I want an instructor who

1) is a good safety-minded role model,
2) enhances the course with good personal experiences,
3) has fun, teaches fun, demonstrates fun,
4) customizes the teaching to the students,
5) builds a sense of self confidence in the students,
6) teaches with a sense of self-confidence, and
7) enjoys teaching and gets involved

You need both sides of the coin: strong educational skills as well as strong technical skills.

Number of dives isn't as important in an instructor as teaching well and teaching safety.

Matt

Ontario, that is all so true.

Butch,
Let me try and make my point, in a few steps:

1)The ONLY one that can prove that they are up to certain standards are INSTRUCTORS that were tested for it.

2)You can learn a wholeovulot more about good diving from a very experienced diver than a fresh instructor, but not the basics. I had a lousy instructor at my o/w, and I learned most of my CORRECT diving later, but still, I wouldn't have gone learning to dive, not with a certified instructor, at least for the BASICSof diving.

3)Let's talk teachers. Sure I had bad teachers, hell I can teach better than half of them, but does it make ME a teacher?
NO!
There are more aspects to being a teacher than just to teach, and those aspects are learned in special places where teachers go to learn to be teachers at.

And guys, let's be frank here:
There are a LOT of lousy instructors, but let's face it, Most instructors are very experienced divers, and usualy they are into the trade more than the casual diver. If you run a knowledge test between all divers, I'm prety sure that the top percent will be made mostly of instructors and other profesionals. I know instructors where i live do about a 1000 dives a year. That's quite a lot. Chances are, that an instructor with some experience in instructing, will teach better than an experienced diver with no experience in instructing.

The reason instructors can instruct are not BECOUSE they took a course. That's only a part in a ladder. There must be a way to tell who is qualified to instruct and who is not. The final stage is the test. Like in driving, there is a test to say who can drive and who can not. Someone may be a great driver, but as long as he didn't take the test, every time he drives, he breaks the law. There MUST be some kind of REGULATION. What we have today is not the IDEAL system, but it is the LEAST BAD that w came up with up to today.

What are the minimum requirements for "Intructor" in the various agencies?
Is it really possible to be a "90 day wonder" with an instructor cert? What's the min # of dives or amount of time spent diving?

Just because you have taken the appropriate schooling to become a teacher does not make you a teacher. A teacher/instructor only learn the basic fundamentals in the education process, an instructor only becomes a true instructor with experience (in most cases).

I do not argue or advicate that you do not dive without instruction from a certified instructor. I also would advicate that you find a dive instructor with experience.

This is only based on my own personal observations.

My only point Liquid that I am trying to make is this.....soem of my best college professers were in fact experienced in the field (engineering) long before they became teachers.......I have also found this to be ture in my brief diving history.

Of the 3 instructors I have had the opportunity to be involved with, the one with the most diversified diving experience was the best.

He was not the oldest instructor nor the youngest, just the one with the most diversified experience.

Butch :peace:

Butch, I agree with what you said. From what you can see in my original message, you can read most of what you said between the lines.

Duca-
I can give you SSI's minimal standards, and the minimal standards for SSI in Israel.

-Divecon/Dive-master.
-Minimum of 100 dives (can start instructor course with 75).
-24 dives in the last year.
-18 years old.
-Rescue diver.
-Medical exam.
-Own scuba gear.
-Hold a certification of first aid.
-Assist in the training of at least one FULL course in the last year.
-Pass the evaluation.

In Isral it's a bit different:
-At least 21 years old.
-Aperenticeship in at least 4 courses (either by watching another instructor, or instructing supervised).
-Must have a permit (costs about 25$, and given after proved you are up to all the standards of your agency, and the minimal standards of the law).

I know its been talked about before but I like the idea of the apprenticeship. This may not solve all the problems, as some people are just not ment to teach, but it will give instrutors a chance to get a feel for the class and learn from other instructors.

In my opinon the best way to go is to meet your instructor first hand. Go to your LDS and get to know some of the instructors see how they teach. A big part of teaching is how your personality works with others. For example if i get an instructor thats very experienced and a good instructor but very cocky and arrogant im going to have a hard time getting along with him/her. On the other hand if I get someone who is easy going and easy to get along with, with the same qualifications i will learn the material alot better and have a much better chance of succeeding. So it all boils down to who you are most comfortable with and who you feel is most qualified.

I think another thing to consider when takeing a course is make sure you get different instructors every time. While your OW instructor may have been good, when you go to do your advanced you want to have a different opinion of what your doing right/wrong. As i mentioned before different instructors have different styles and have different things to offer and its always good to learn from other people with experience rather than the same person every time.

Enough of my rambling hope this made sense.

Hey all,

I have my IDC planned for this December. As I read all of the comments, I must admit that I reflected on where I thought I was in respect to those positive attributes. I think that I can add only one thing to it... as an instructor, you always, always, always, gotta look cool!

:tease:

Remember what they say about opinions?

One doesn't necessarily need a wad of certifications to become well versed in diving techniques and physiology. If one is taught poor techniques, misinformation, and/or held to mediocre standards, then more harm than good may be done. It may, or may not, be the fault of the instructor, but rather the certifying agency.

I was once on a charter in Florida where a recreational dive instructor got on with a discount or free (something) just because he was an instructor. I just shook my head and laughed. IMO, an instructor cert. doesn't necessarily mean squat as far as their level of REAL diving knowledge, diving techniques, knowledge of equipment, or their task loading abilities.

Later.

Mike

PS. Teaching has as much to do with having the right personality as anything else, and there isn't much an agency can do about that. I don't believe a cert. alone can make one a good teacher, and therefore a cert. isn't "necessarily" required to be a good teacher. A good diver with excellant skills and knowledge may, in fact, prove to be a much better teacher than a certified instructor. It's all relavant, I guess.

I've learned a great deal of stuff from people who aren't instructors. I've also done a great deal of learning on my own which has proven to be quite efficient for me. I'm not really trying to put down instructors as a whole, but I don't give them undue credit for simply achieving an instructor rating from PADI or Naui, or whoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom