Thoughts on AMBA liveaboard in Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poorstudentdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven’t found any recent reviews here of the AMBA. anyone have any reviews or thoughts on this boat? Considering a 10 day “best of Maldives” tour.

I haven’t found any recent reviews here of the AMBA. anyone have any reviews or thoughts on this boat? Considering a 10 day “best of Maldives” tour.
Personally wouldn't ever step foot back on that boat!.
"Boat manager" - rude and ignorant of Maldivian dive practices, has no care for you or anyone else on board.
"Crew" - one guide for a full boat,, when questioned about it..."No-one booked an extra guide"!!
"The boat" - hope you're happy with termites every day and don't be fobbed off with "every boat has a few". This boat is/ was infested- all cabins, the main salon, the whole boat!!!. Eating whilst crew use those mini tennis racquet killers around the table!! (Every meal). Major hatches in your cabin daily - and really I don't mean 2 or 3, I mean hundreds appearing at once.

I have been on several Maldives boats and NEVER been on one that only does "cabin service" alternate days, maybe that was just lucky?.
"You get what you pay for" - there's a reason it's so cheap!!!!.
Avoid at all costs is my personal opinion- there are so many good boats there to choose from!!

Personally wouldn't ever step foot back on that boat!.
"Boat manager" - rude and ignorant of Maldivian dive practices, has no care for you or anyone else on board.
"Crew" - one guide for a full boat,, when questioned about it..."No-one booked an extra guide"!!
"The boat" - hope you're happy with termites every day and don't be fobbed off with "every boat has a few". This boat is/ was infested- all cabins, the main salon, the whole boat!!!. Eating whilst crew use those mini tennis racquet killers around the table!! (Every meal). Major hatches in your cabin daily - and really I don't mean 2 or 3, I mean hundreds appearing at once.

I have been on several Maldives boats and NEVER been on one that only does "cabin service" alternate days, maybe that was just lucky?.
"You get what you pay for" - there's a reason it's so cheap!!!!.
Avoid at all costs is my personal opinion- there are so many good boats there to choose from!!
This is really helpful. Thank you! I was a little skeptical about the boat and I appreciate you confirming

Thanks for that!!!!!! I have Maldives on my dream list.

Only thing I am worried about is travel safety. The flight path to get there from DFW takes you a little too close to the war zones.

Thanks for that!!!!!! I have Maldives on my dream list.

Only thing I am worried about is travel safety. The flight path to get there from DFW takes you a little too close to the war zones.
From DFW to Male will generally take you via Dubai, Doha or Abu Dhabi, depending on which airline you use.
All perfectly safe places to transit.
Alternatively you could fly to Germany or UK and then take a direct flight to Male.

Worth the effort really

From DFW to Male will generally take you via Dubai, Doha or Abu Dhabi, depending on which airline you use.
All perfectly safe places to transit.
Alternatively you could fly to Germany or UK and then take a direct flight to Male.

Worth the effort really

It's not so much the places I would have to lay over but the countries I would have to fly over....

When I Google search it, it shows the flight pattern going over Syria, Iraq Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Oman, and probably closer than I'd prefer to be to Yemen...

It's not so much the places I would have to lay over but the countries I would have to fly over....

When I Google search it, it shows the flight pattern going over Syria, Iraq Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Oman, and probably closer than I'd prefer to be to Yemen...
Not even slightly an issue - don't believe everything the TV tells you :)

Back
Top Bottom