Thoughts on this "entry level" set-up? (I await your slings and arrows!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too would advice you to get a wrist mounted computer, consoles are big and cumbersome, and tend to get in the way most of the times! Other than that, enjoy your new gear and safe diving!

For those of you recomending wrist computers, are you using air integrated wrist computers? Seems to me you got to check your SPG anyway, so check your depth, time etc at same time. But if can check your air on wrist then can see point more clearly.

Only computer I have currently is the organic one in my head, and am using SPG and depth gauge in a console, wrist mounted compass. I just plan my dive and dive my plan.

But am considering going digital, if for no other reason than I am a technology freak.:wink:

Will probably go with a wrist unit first but eventually plan on going to air integrated wrist plus air integrated console (belt and suspenders)
I am a little leary of the air integrated wrist units as have worked with numerous wireless technologies in non diving related fields and know they can be adversely affected by a lot of different factors.

also, have been diving with console now for about 27 years and never found it cumbersome. seems easier than checking wrist for depth and othere info and then having to check spg, but is only my .02

BrianV:
I wasn't dogging seaquest just saying why I didn't have a comment. Out of the few dive shops I go to none of them service Seaquest so I just wanted to point that out. I have a Cressi and none of the shops service those either so it's not really a big deal.

Yep. No biggie.

Although, Tom's has sold and serviced Seaquest since 1982. http://www.tomsscuba.com/products/product.html

Great reg and if the BC fits well sounds good. (Though I also dislike combined octo-inflator type units for most of the usual reasons, even though that's what I learned on.)

I have both console and wrist mount compasses. I find it so much more convienient to look at the wrist one so if I had only one that's where I'd put it. Granted, in a console you can't forget it! (A console is a handy place to stash a backup one though, and it is possible to clip up a console in ways that don't drag.) I personally wouldn't want a computer for an SPG, there's a lot to be said for a simple reliable analog gauge. Dive computers have a way of crapping out sometimes.

I haven't used the other items, but the M1 will happily take you anywhere you could possibly want to go, at any temperature, and will never freeflow (Mine hasn't, even at 60' and very close to 32 degrees). It breathes very easy and in an emergency, the first stage will deliver al the air you and your buddy could possibly use.

Terry

RJP3:
Have learned from a few other hobbies the following two immutable truths about buying "gear"...

1.) Whatever it is, avoid entry level and buy the SECOND one first
2.) The most expensive gear is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you really wanted

With this in mind - and having completed my OW cert last week - I've just about finalized my decision to assemble the following "entry level" set up:

REGULATOR: Atomic MI

abysmaldiver:
with the majority of equipment being on equal plains, all you are paying for is a name and bells'n'whistles. Comfort is the most important factor

I agree, the performance on most of the mid range and high end gear is pretty equal.

Just find what works and roll with it. Figure out how you'll have your gear serviced before you buy it, and make sure you're buying it in the configuration you'll end up using.

-Brandon.

As a new diver from last summer, I have to say that personally I am very happy I took seriously advice against alternate air and went for traditional octo. I'd vouch for 'modular' solutions in general, so if things crap out on you, you do not need to fix/change everything.

NadMat:
For those of you recomending wrist computers, are you using air integrated wrist computers? Seems to me you got to check your SPG anyway, so check your depth, time etc at same time. But if can check your air on wrist then can see point more clearly.

Only computer I have currently is the organic one in my head, and am using SPG and depth gauge in a console, wrist mounted compass. I just plan my dive and dive my plan.

But am considering going digital, if for no other reason than I am a technology freak.:wink:

Will probably go with a wrist unit first but eventually plan on going to air integrated wrist plus air integrated console (belt and suspenders)
I am a little leary of the air integrated wrist units as have worked with numerous wireless technologies in non diving related fields and know they can be adversely affected by a lot of different factors.

also, have been diving with console now for about 27 years and never found it cumbersome. seems easier than checking wrist for depth and othere info and then having to check spg, but is only my .02

I don't find the need to check my air nearly as often as I am interested in depth or NDL, so I don't need to look at the console that often, or at the same time. It helps that I'm lucky and don't use much air so I know my buddy always has less. :wink: I'm also pretty good at knowing and estimating pressure because my instructor wanted us to always know our pressure pretty close when asked, without looking. It was an awareness thing for him, but now it's habit and I make a game of it with myself.

I would go a different way if I were using 2 computers and wanted AI - I'd do the wireless wrist thing, so everything would be on my wrist and I'd have the toy. It's true wireless is less reliable, but since I'd have a backup I wouldn't be as worried about it. Then in the console I would put a plain old SPG, and a non-AI computer. Cheaper than buying 2 AI and you'd always have a nice reliable SPG.

I used the same philosophy last summer when TSandM and I took the plunge. I have the Balance and love it (TSandM swears that when I finally try a BP/W I'll swoon and change -- as if I didn't use a BP for years when I first dove in the late 60's). I also opted for the Cobra with compass and I clipped it to a retractor and it stays very handy on my left side (the clip is on the lower part, not the top and yes, it is a Rule 6 violation but it is very handy!). In addition I got the Air II (or whatever their version is) and while I wouldn't want to use it as a primary, it works just fine and as others have said, you know where it is. (Remember, you can vent it while breathing off it by pulling on the hose -- something I wish I had known earlier.) I don't know anything about your reg but I'm sure it is good.

SINCE I STARTED useing my gear, I've added a Mosquito as a backup computer and use it as my primary depth gauge now (and some on SB have notice my "discussions" with TSandM over how silly (really stupid is my description) of her to get rid of her Cobra and switch to an SPG!) and TSandM gave me a necklaced 2ndary ala her Hog rig. Yes, the Apex 20 is much easier to breathe than the AirII but the AirII doesn't freeflow like the necklaced 2ndary.

Anyway, I think you've made good choices - congratulations. (And you can take my opinion for what its worth -- which ain't very much!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom