Thread Split - DAN insurance for Cozumel DM's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We agree... well, at least I agree... :wink:

This is true for about any insurance company of any type insurance. It all differs per country.

I mean if I was to move to another country for the corporation where I work, our other countries have different benefits and use different insurance providers. (I'm talking health insurance here).

Another example is that a LOT of US auto insurance policies don't cover your vehicle into Mexico. You have to purchase a separate "rider" policy.

This is all based on the "underwriter" of the insurance company and how they do business. It's fairly typical.

Okay, now my head is spinning.

For those living in Cozumel - we are now under DAN World and there is specific coverage and limitations for us. I think there is some selective reading going on and yes things have changed only for those of us who live and work in Cozumel.

For those of you visiting Cozumel and diving in Cozumel or elsewhere, you are covered jsut as you always were!

Just a reminder that MX citizens (natural born or naturalized) who are NOT affiliated with Social Security can apply for Seguro Popular coverage at Centro de Salud. Regardless of your employment status, it is easy, free and covers the chamber.

I think I see the basic problem here. I immediately thought of DAN Insurance for Opal because of the Travel Assist coverage, that pays for any necessary medical evacuation costs (whether or not relating to a dive accident). My initial thought was that that coverage would allow Opal to be airlifted to Florida, saving the $20,000 that MedEvac flight would otherwise cost. But then I read my own coverage, and it only covers Medical Evacuation Costs while AWAY FROM HOME on a Dive Trip. Thus, since I am a resident of Texas, if I get DCS in Cozumel, the DAN Insurance would cover cost of Medical Evacuation back to the States for any necessary medical treatment. But, since Opal, Gabi, and Heath are all residents of Cozumel, even if they were covered by DAN Insurance under the exact same terms I have, there is no Medical Evacuation coverage, since they were not "Away from home" for the dive accident.

Correction - Heath is not a resident of Cozumel and has full DAN coverage. he was airlifted out last night and is continuing treatments in NC.

Even if DAN would cover Opal and Gabi - it would be too late for them to purchase coverage for this accident now - had they already had DAN coverage, I imagine DAN would have picked up part of the expenses.

As mentioned above, Gabi has some options for coverage here through the Social Security Administration and can be treated at the Centro de Salud chamber. He needs long term treatment, so I am sure they have already looked into this option.

I think I see the basic problem here. I immediately thought of DAN Insurance for Opal because of the Travel Assist coverage, that pays for any necessary medical evacuation costs (whether or not relating to a dive accident). My initial thought was that that coverage would allow Opal to be airlifted to Florida, saving the $20,000 that MedEvac flight would otherwise cost. But then I read my own coverage, and it only covers Medical Evacuation Costs while AWAY FROM HOME on a Dive Trip. Thus, since I am a resident of Texas, if I get DCS in Cozumel, the DAN Insurance would cover cost of Medical Evacuation back to the States for any necessary medical treatment. But, since Opal, Gabi, and Heath are all residents of Cozumel, even if they were covered by DAN Insurance under the exact same terms I have, there is no Medical Evacuation coverage, since they were not "Away from home" for the dive accident.

Can you provide a link on how they can get it? Just to be sure, we are talking about Dive Masters working and living in Cozumel?

Thanks

Dive Choice Mexico I like to share my office, the ocean, with you
Save

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Apr 2008
Location Cozumel, Mexico
Posts 94
Dives2,500 - 4,999 Originally Posted by cruiser
Do you mean the dive professionals on Coz can't afford DAN insurance? Or do you mean DAN won't insure them? Sorry about the additional hijack but I had to ask.
Professionals can get DAN insurance

This is a reputable source I think, posted above...
I don't understand the confusion here.

Indeed, DAN Insurance is available to our dive instructors and we subsidize it for them. It is not expensive.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

CA... Thanks as Laura is who I spoke with earlier as she was heading to the hospital... We spoke for sometime regarding insurance and specifically insurance in Cozumel and she assured me that insurance was available. I asked her if she would send me an email (when she had the time) so I could post the facts as they are... Laura said she would when she returned to the office...

lee

Just to put it out there, specific questions can be addressed to:

Laura Johnson
Mexico Staff- DAN World
Tel (52) 558.421.9866
Cel (52) 1-987-871-9901
Visite a DAN World y Traveler EMS
www.DiversAlertNetwork.org/world
:: Traveler EMS ::
ljohnson@dan.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back