Thumbs up to Anthony's Key Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they come back because they've been ripped from their family pod in the wild and can't function in the wild without the social bonds of a family pod. "they can leave anytime they want "....thats like saying you let a dog that you've had since it was a puppy free, but it keeps coming back !
for every dolphin captured in the wild many will die during the "hunt". capturing dolphins in the wild to be sold to other caribbean dolphin "experience" parks has been outlawed, akr gets around this by "leasing" the dolphins that they captured to other parks. its shameful

sue,thanks for the report on the resort!!!!
ive been wanting to go there on a trip for quite a few years!!!
my lds went to fantasy island 2 years ago and also gave that a good report
did you do any horseback riding? if so how was availability?
have fun
yaeg:D

they come back because they've been ripped from their family pod in the wild and can't function in the wild without the social bonds of a family pod. "they can leave anytime they want "....thats like saying you let a dog that you've had since it was a puppy free, but it keeps coming back !
for every dolphin captured in the wild many will die during the "hunt". capturing dolphins in the wild to be sold to other caribbean dolphin "experience" parks has been outlawed, akr gets around this by "leasing" the dolphins that they captured to other parks. its shameful

how does AKR get the dolphins when hunting has been outlawed? Why don't the "experience" parks just get them the same way, rather than leasing them?

I am not intending to start a flame war, just curious. Incidentally, I have never been to a dolphin experience park, and don't plan to.

I believe most of the ones that are there were born there.

Not trying to turn post into something ugly. Just want to know if dolphins were captive or not. The fact that they can leave any time through one way gate does not answer how they got there in the first place. I assume they were captured in the wild and then trained and rewarded to stay and interact with humans.

Good or bad, whether you like it or not, the dolphins at AKR have it about a million times better than the majority of other 'dolphin' encounter locations. They've got a HUGE area to be in, and can leave if they want. Quite a better gig than the typical small pen with total captivity and forced performances that others have to do with people riding them like skis, which is what goes on just about everywhere else. If there has to be captive dolphins AKR is the model for others to follow.

I like this

a lot better than this

Good or bad, whether you like it or not, the dolphins at AKR have it about a million times better than the majority of other 'dolphin' encounter locations. They've got a HUGE area to be in, and can leave if they want. Quite a better gig than the typical small pen with total captivity and forced performances that others have to do with people riding them like skis, which is what goes on just about everywhere else. If there has to be captive dolphins AKR is the model for others to follow.

thanks for posting that Mike. I agree that AKR is about the best you can do with dolphins in captivity.

Reactions: Doc
On a non-dolphin note, tripadvisor's reviews have a number negative comments about AKRs dive operation: shoddy dive equipment, disinterested DMs and high diver to DM ratio (12:1 in one case). I didn't see anything like that on scuba board so was wondering if it was a reality or a small number of negative reviewers. Your thoughts?

In general, AKR get's high marks from the tripdavisor reviews but I always look at the negative reviews because they can be revealing.

Last edited:
On a non-dolphin note, tripadvisor's reviews have a number negative comments about AKRs dive operation: shoddy dive equipment, disinterested DMs and high diver to DM ratio (10:1 in one case). I didn't see anything like that on scuba board so was wondering if it was a reality or a small number of negative reviewers. Your thoughts?

In general, AKR get's high marks from the tripdavisor reviews but I always look at the negative reviews because they can be revealing.

We did not use any of their equipment (except tanks and weights) so can't comment on that.

Disinterested DMs - our's would often point out things and be sure everyone saw what he was pointing out. He always kept track of everyone (and one day it was like herding cats because we were combined with another group). Our group of 4 are very experienced divers and don't need babysitting so once any dive operation dives with us a couple of dives, they always give us our "space" but I would not say he was "disinterested" at all. Of course there are varying degrees of attentiveness and also of desire for attentiveness - so this could be a very subjective question.

I think the ratio might have something to do with the time of year. We were there in January, so it was the slow season. As with may dive resorts is seems the first days and the earlier dives are more attended, while later in the week and later in the day there are less diving. That being said, we at most had about 6 - 8 to one DM and at the least, there were about 2 or 3 to one DM. Again if the resort is full, possibly the ratio could go 10 to 1. For us more important than the ratio is the number of divers on a boat - a crowded boat sucks! The boats are large and there was plenty of room to set up and move around and I would think this would be still true with 10 divers on board.

I think checking out the negatives are definitely a good idea, but as you know one thing can bother a person and then their view of everything can become negative. I have been to a lot of dive resorts and my overall view of AKR is that it is one of the best run that I have been to.

Hope that helps
Sue

.... tripadvisor's reviews have a number negative comments about AKRs dive operation: shoddy dive equipment, disinterested DMs and high diver to DM ratio (10:1 in one case). I didn't see anything like that on scuba board so was wondering if it was a reality or a small number of negative reviewers. Your thoughts?

What's wrong with a dive guide ratio of 10:1 ?

Oh, you were reading meanings into the title DM that don't have the same definition that they did in training. A "DM" in paradise is not there to teach you or do they represent in any way a defined "duty". That said, yes- there are DMs and great DMs. How do you know? For me, it's the ones that give a good dive brief with maps, tell me what we're likely to see, then go out of their way to point out the cool hidden stuff.

They will most certainly perform heroic acts if you screw-up, but they will simply NOT be hovering and watching you. If you are a danger to yourself and others, they should refer your situation to their managers and have you talked to about remedial training.

The other part of the equation is the "boatsman" (sometimes the Captain). He assist you with changing tanks, handing down cameras, helping you back on board and into your seat. These guys make or break a trip in my book.

There are huge variations in service quality, but in their intended capacity, even 20:1 is not really an issue.

Do a few dive trips, then go and read Trip Advisor. See how goofy it gets. There is no way to understand any poster's breadth of experience as they gush or wail about any given dive operation.

I have seen their rental gear being used many times over the years, it always works. It looks like well maintained rental gear in a tropical environment. The UV and salt water is not gentle. Untrained people can only go by appearances. I have seen nicer looking rental gear availabkle on Roatan (and elsewhere), but as long as it works, the frayed edges and bleached-out colors don't really matter- if you really understand what you are looking for.

AKR has long presented a quality product.

sue,thanks for the report on the resort!!!!ive been wanting to go there on a trip for quite a few years!!! my lds went to fantasy island 2 years ago and also gave that a good reportdid you do any horseback riding? if so how was availability?have funyaeg:D
I did not take time to horseback ride but one of the diver's wife went every day and really seemed to enjoy it. Guessing that her going every day answers the availability of it.Sue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom