Thunder bay alpena, michigan wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See posts 5 & 8 this thread for info on the Grecian and Montana. The Allen is an old fairly intact schooner in about 100 ft of water, its a nice dive. The Thew and the Flint are old wooden steamers, not a lot to see but worth a dive or two. One of the Flint's endearing features is that she is way inside the Bay and you can get on it in even the nastiest weather. Then there is the Monohansett, my very first wreck dive! She is a burnt down wooden steamer in about 25 ft of water. She is tucked in behind Thunder Bay Island so you can always get on her even in the worst weather. If the weather is good the visibility is usually good because the bottom is all rock. There is usually a lot of fish around the wreck. There is her big prop and boiler and pieces of the engine to see. If you root around in the timbers and around on the bottom there used to be tools and lots of other small interesting artifacts to see. We used to splash there once in awhile when we where blown off the lake. One time I came swimming around the stern and found one of my buddies kneeling on the bottom facing an intact part of the stern planking. I got closer and noticed he was holding his knife in both hands with the tip a couple of inches from the plank. Now it was only 25 ft so I know he wasn't narced but I couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing. All the sudden he lunged forward and then showed me the bluegill he had just impaled with his knife. He had a bunch of them in his goody bag! Seriously! I'm not making this up! It was illegal as hell, but they sure tasted good when we fried them up in galley that night! Oh well , you have to get your entertainment where you can find it when the weather is not cooperating. I hope you have good luck with the weather, if so I know you will have a great time.

jimthediver

Live to dive and dive to live!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom