Thursday 17th August, 2006 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
Would love to have a gym to workout at, but since I don't I make do with what I have. Would love to get on some resistance training machines.
When I started weight training about a year and a half ago, I used the machines. Now I use mostly free-weights. I do alot of exercises on a ball in the plank position. Like flys and chest lifts. That helps you develop your core strength. I use a few machines for my legs and also assisted pull-ups and stuff like that. I do find myself getting stronger. I balance that with cardio workouts.
Before I joined the gym, I used to walk during my lunch hour. This gym is the best thing about work! :D BTW, my company doesn't own it. There are two office buildings and a hotel in the same complex as the gym. Since I work in the building, I get my membership at a reduced rate.

fairybasslet:
Now I use mostly free-weights. I do alot of exercises on a ball in the plank position. Like flys and chest lifts. That helps you develop your core strength.
This is all new to me. Please explain, and or direct me to more info.

Scuba_Jenny:
This is all new to me. Please explain, and or direct me to more info.
Here's a site that shows some exercises you can do with a ball. The beginng position of the ball rotation exercise is the "table top" position, which is what I meant. Not plank. Sorry. So in that position, I do chest flies, lifts and triceps. I took a couple of fit ball classes and learned how to do it. The plank position is the beginning of the ball twist exercise. I really hate that position because it hurts my wrists because I still have to hold up too much weight.:D
If you do a google search of chest fly or back fly, you'll find some exercises you can do with free weights. It's actually more challenging because you have to keep them steady. With machines, they keep the weight steady and soon, your body doesn't have to do much. That's why it's good to change up your exercise because your body will learn to do it in the most effecient way it can. It's a sneaky kind of thing.

Hi all,

Nice to see everyone doing well. As for me, I did good on my diet but didn't do well with the exercising. I walked my dogs about 30 minutes every other night. And I did take the stairs at work every day. I guess that's better than nothin'. The scale didn't move an inch, but at least it didn't go up and I can still say that I am solidly under the 200 lb mark. That mark was very important emotionally and has kept me inspired.

I went diving this past weekend with my brother and a friend about 25 miles off the coast of Daytona Beach. The first spot we hit was a total blackout. I hit the bottom hard at 80 ft cause I didn't see it coming. I signaled to my brother and came right back up. He and our friend John were only a few minutes behind. The next spot we hit had about 8 ft of vis and was only about 65 ft. I learned from this trip that I can't take the low vis. The anxiety hit me pretty hard and I came right back up again. They continued on and collected about a dozen lobsters (currently in season). Even though I didn't get a good dive in, my philosophy is that any day on the water is a good day so I had a good time. I large school of porpoise swam near the boat. They were herding fish by slapping their tails on the water. It was very cool. We also saw a sea turtle and a huge cobia that came and circled the boat for a while. We saw a couple big splashes in the distance that may have been whales. My wetsuit went on a little easier. I can't wait until I go down to the next size.

Glad to see you guys here again. Keep up the good work.

Deana :sappy:

FL_DVLover:
I large school of porpoise swam near the boat. They were herding fish by slapping their tails on the water. It was very cool. We also saw a sea turtle and a huge cobia that came and circled the boat for a while. We saw a couple big splashes in the distance that may have been whales. My wetsuit went on a little easier. I can't wait until I go down to the next size.

Glad to see you guys here again. Keep up the good work.

Deana :sappy:
That sounds absolutely awesome!!

Sorry for the late entry. Lost 1 pound this week and my Birthday is coming up this weekend. That sucks because my wife will make a great cake and ice cream for me but mostly for the kids. I like getting older because it is another year closer to retirement and NO MORE OVERTIME ! Its all the sweets at the dinner that kills me.

I did not get to do the treadmill this week, I worked overtime instead. It seems like everytime I want to get into the routine of working out I get the overtime. I just can not seem to get back on my full fledge diet of Atkins.

I am trying to get myself off the Diet soda and coffee this week. Wish me luck and pray for my family:wink:

well done to everyone that tried their best this week!!! some days/weeks its tough to keep the routine or energy going but WE CALL ALL DO THIS so dont give up!!!

remember, its not just on the scales your hard work will show, you might find yourself less breathless going up those stairs, that shirt might be a touch bigger on you or you have more energy hauling yourself in and out of the boat on this weekends dive.... look for the subtle positives in your life!

we all did great this weekend - so many things happening, from taking the stairs, starting a new job (yeah!), being out on the water with dolpins and turtles (nice!) and giving up coffee :)ignore:)

so i already started on my challenge for this week - today i had a seminar in town so i walked to the train station and back instead of taking my car!! i hope everyone else is thinking of an errand they can match me with.

WOOHOOO to all of us - we are DOING GREAT!!

El... have i not been nagging you about your yoga.... what's happened and what ya been up to you cheeky man??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom