Hotel Cozumel and Resort/Living Underwater/Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossandmaureen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With one remaining week of 2009 vacation time to either use or lose, my non-diving wife and I headed back to Cozumel so that she could kick back around the pool and I could kick in the ocean. Through Air Canada Vacations, we booked a European plan package at the Hotel Cozumel and Resort and, after typical Air Canada delays, (late on each of the four legs there and back) arrived in Cozumel on January 2nd. In spite of the airlines inefficiency, their contracted ground handlers did a good job of whisking us of to the hotel.

We chose to go non all-inclusive since there are far too many great restaurants in San Miguel and we wanted to return to some old favorites and try some new ones. Casa Dennis continues to offer great food, good value and exceptional service and we ended up visiting our favorite waiter Martin twice during the week. Prima’s new location still offers the same menu items as well as some new ones but the atmosphere is more upscale and formal and not quite as much fun. The food, on the other hand, did not disappoint and I enjoyed the lobster Alfredo for my birthday. Guido’s hasn’t skipped a beat even with Chef Chris moving to open Kinta and was time well spent. The aforementioned Kinta had been on Christie’s list and Jeremy had suggested as well so, following advice to make reservations (a good idea) we enjoyed a great dinner in a nicely done contempory setting. This will quickly become a must do place in Cozumel. Finally we squeezed in La Mission (always good) and a couple of the cheap beer/margarita bars around the public square. Sadly the usual Sunday night gathering was missing on this trip because (I think) of Christmas/Three Kings celebrations taking place at the municipal plaza.

Dining out of the hotel for dinner was, we think, a good decision. The food at the hotel, while adequate, appeared to be from a limited menu far short of what would be offered at some of the better all-inclusives. Having stayed at several other all-inclusives and being reasonably satisfied with the quality and variety of food choices, we would have been extremely disappointed had we done other than the European plan. This reflects, as do several other aspects, that this is not a four star property as claimed by the hotel. The evening stage entertainment isn’t a grand production, bar service around the pool is more self service and it would be nice if the hot tub was occasionally actually hot. Now…having said all that and criticized the hotel…I should note that we would gladly return there in the future. The hotel is well maintained, rooms are clean and large, staff is very friendly, and it represents very good value…for a three star hotel. Best of all is a location close enough to town to walk without being far enough away to entice you into a taxi. That way you can burn off some of the calories from some outstanding dinners in town. One other little complaint would be the erratic opening time of the restaurant. Posted at 6:30 AM, it was often off by 15 or 20 minutes and, given the large number of divers on site, it would be nice if they were punctual so that we didn't have to rush to meet waiting dive ops.

Other than those issues, this is a diver friendly hotel with drying racks on room balconies, free and functional wi-fi and a convenient dock and dive center a one minute walk across the street. Operated by Dive Paradise, the dive center was well laid out with rinse showers and tanks, storage lockers for dive gear all set in a nice beach club surrounding. I heard great things about Dive Paradise all week but didn’t personally use them as I had booked in advance with Living Underwater, my regular dive op.

This must have been “Canada Week” with Jeremy as, on every dive day, the boat was totally canuck. We had divers from Calgary, Saskatchewan (actually Marg who must be now considered as being from Cozumel), White Rock where I live (small world) and Fort St. John, which, if you were wondering where it is…don’t worry…nobody in Canada knows either.

We did have a great week of diving (other than one port closure day) and sites ranged from Eagle Ray in the north (Jeremy offered me the choice of dive sites on my last day!) to Punta Sur in the south which was the fall back spot when Maracaibo proved to be too bumpy and everywhere in between. Dives were long and leisurely and the beach based surface intervals were, as always, appreciated. There was little in the way of marine life we didn’t see including the largest green moray I have ever seen, numerous eagle rays and a grand-daddy of a lobster that would have fed a family of six. Along the way Jeremy bagged close to a dozen lion fish and, unfortunately, there weren’t too many dives where they were absent. As pretty as these fish are, hopefully the combined efforts of the island’s dive masters will at least control their numbers and limit the damage.

Although a less than stellar week in the way of surface weather, sunshine and warmth, the water temperatures were fine and ranged between 79 and 81 and visibility was good. I don’t usually take advantage of the parkas offered by Living Underwater but definitely needed them during this trip. I did also get to meet a couple of ScubaBoard members and it was nice to be able to put a face to these regular posters. As usual…the trip was far too short and we look forward to a return soon as this island has an ambience and character all of it's own.

Great report, thanks. I, too, have found the Kinta's is a great little restaurant. I have added it to LaChoza and Especias as my favorite restaurants in Coz. Sorry to hear that the Lion Fish is expanding. We saw only 1 during my last week (in Oct) and the DM couldn't corral it.

How is Jeremy capturing them?

Rich

He uses two aquarium fish nets to surround them and then places them in a catch bag. He could use a couple of new nets as his are starting to develop holes so, if anyone is headed to Coz, it would be a nice gesture to present him new ones.

Glad you had a nice trip. I was stuck in San Diego last week and it only made to the mid seventies air temp:wink: Jeremy and the crew really spoil you and I sure wish I could of been there, instead. I too thought Hotel Coz was fine for what it cost, especially when they throw in the breakfast buffet. Hope to dive with you again sometime,

Dave

Thanks for witing the great report.
How did your wife like the time spent while you were diving- always a major consideration for me... Did it look like a possible "family" destination? Did you have lunches at the hotel?
Thanks - Eric

I am blessed with a very understanding wife who is quite content to read while I dive. It was somewhat disconcerting to her the first time I used Jeremy however. I was the first diver picked up from our hotel...The El Cid La Ceiba at 7:50 AM and then, as she lounged around the beach, she saw successive divers being picked up until around 9 AM. Around noon all of these divers started returning and, as the clock ticked closer to 2:30 PM, she started to get worried or at least was checking the life insurance policy. As it turned out this was just a normal day for Jeremy...long dives separated by a lengthy S.I. on the beach. He does spoil you.

I would say that the hotel would be fine for family and kids. They have a kids club to keep them busy and the pool has numerous shallow areas (plus one separate kiddy pool) for them to splash in. The children who were at the hotel didn't seem to mind that it was chilly but not a lot of the adults were willing to take the plunge.

We only had one lunch at the hotel on the Saturday we were flying out as the rainfall scared us off from venturing downtown. Not great but not terrible and, as indicated in my post, we picked that hotel because of location rather than food. I do need to get a different travel agent obviously because, unlike Dave, our breakfast buffet was not included!

Dave...too bad you weren't diving with us. We would have even made you an honorary Canadian! (actually we spell it honourary up north)

Ross

We love Hotel Coz for the location and friendly staff we always get the AI as it is usally only $14.50 US a day extra pp and we get much more than that in breakfast lunch and drinks.We usally eat dinner in town.But at less than $15 US extra pp daily the AI is a great deal for us.

Hi Ross,
We never formerly met but were the guy's that had breakfast behind you every morning and kept running into you all over town.Have to agree with your review of Hotel Cozumel. The only reason we did the all inclusive is because we were there with our kids and didn't want to pay for drinks all week.
Casa Dennis is still one of our favorites and Martin is still the best.The only bad meal we had was at Sorriso's and just left a review on tripadvisor.

Hi njones259;

Yes...of course we remember and you always had a friendly nod as our paths crossed. Depending on the daily price we can get next time, we would consider the all-inclusive option if only to have breakfast and post dive cervesas.

We were considering Sorriso's because of the gelato but went elsewhere and bought the gelato from the spot on the corner across the street. I had heard that the quality of their pizzas had suffered since a change in chefs but can't speak from experience.

It was good to see you at the hotel and around town and look forward to meeting up again.

Hi Ross. The cool weather has continued but today the sun is trying to break through. It's actually warmer outside than in the house. Went up north again yesterday but no squadrons yet....that we saw at least. More Canadians on the boat - group of 4 from PEI. Seems like there are a lot more Canadians this year. Maybe due to WestJet's new service to Cozumel.

Friends of mine who run a B&B here had guests who had dived on the mainland before getting to Coz. They said lionfish everywhere and little to no effort being made to contain them. They may need Jeremy to go and show them how. Patience, patience, patience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom