Thursday 5th October, 2006 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the support. I'm not on any particular "diet". I've been fat all my life so I know the drill. I've just been watching calories and exercising. My problem is that I hate exercising and I love eating. It seems no matter how hard I try I can't make the changes any sort of permanent... it's always just a temporary thing to lose weight which I know is never going to work in the long run.

I honestly don't know how to make any of the changes more permanent. I know they say to do exercise you enjoy but honestly, the only things I enjoy can't be done on a daily basis nor do they actually burn the amount of calories I need to burn. I like sports, team sports. I can't do those often enough (nor do I have any access to them) to matter so I need to face the fact that I need to do boring old cardio stuff to work off the calories and that just sucks. Hour long workouts in the basement on my bike/elliptical burn lots of calories but it's boring and frankly I hate doing it.

Food is a whole other issue. I'm always hungry, I never have time to shop (I work practically two full time jobs) so my food choices are limited to nothing and fast food and cake most days. I'm just not in a position in my life right now to be able to make any serious, permanent changes it seems. I know these sound like excuses but they're really not, they're just facts. It's hard to find time to shop, prepare food and work out when you work 14 hours a day and 9 of those hours are spent sitting on my butt while the other 5 are spent working on cake, one of my favorite foods!!

Anyway, not really looking for advice or sympathy or understanding, just feeling the need to vent.

Hiya Cork, thanks for venting. It is always refreshing to hear others and their daily struggles. It helps for me to be grateful for what I have and how much I have accomplished. Along the way I have learned that until I was ready, I wasn't gonna change. I think the saying goes "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." How so true. For my weight loss, it started a year ago when I went on a personal enrichment type weekend, and followed it up a month later. Months later, the results of the processes I went through started to surface, and then I made the decision to lose weight. It was another couple months later when the teacher appeared. He just so happened to post here on SB about how he lost a lot of weight. I liked his reasoning for doing things the way he did, and with prior research noted that it may work for me. So I picked a starting date and now I am here today feeling so much better about myself, not just the weight loss, but me as a living, breathing, human being. A few months later I re found this support group that Almity has breathed life into again, and have a good support group.
So, after all this babble, I guess what I am saying, is don't be so hard on yourself, until you are sick and tired of being the weight you are, you are not gonna change, no matter how much you try. It's as much a mental thing as physical.
Good luck, and I hope you keep us posted!

oh i so hear you Cork.... all my life ive been big - if you look at a 50yrd old photo of my grandmother im the spitting image of her and ive never let it stop me from doing stuff but it got to the point that when i got on a plane i was expecting the tap on the shoulder to buy an extra ticket, going out i would wonder what type of chairs (with arms) they used and i was already wearing the largest size in the stores and even they didnt fit! somethiing had to be done but still i didnt see it until i saw the words 'diabeties' on my blood test results and that put the fear into me to get my act together

can i suggest you look into home devliery for groceries? i hvae organic home delivery thats fruit, veggies and meats - some of the chicken / beef is already marinated and stirfry doesnt take long to whip up.

so TODAY is my 5th month anniversary of changing my life!!

AND

im going DIVING!!!

first time in THREE YEARS ive fit into my wetsuit and i dont need the jaws of death to get out of it either!

so woohooooo to everyone here - remember, its the little things - for me it started with saying no to softdrink so i hope you all hold onto your one small thing you did/can do to make your life healthier and fitter

cheers everyone - im outta here as the water is calling my name!

see you later

Congrats Almity! I am so glad you are going diving! Did you take a refresher course? :D
Post a trip report, k?

hahahah Jenny!! wel'll i was diving in Yap in april but i was wearing my aeroskin suit

going thru my log book (which ihavent done for ages) and by memory i last wore my 5mm wetsuit back in June 2004 and even back then it was a struggle to get into the suit - hubby use to have to grab a handful of suit and pull up to get my big butt into it!

so today was a beaut day!!!! it was so much fun spending time with hubby. we also had a bbq lunch so i held strong and ate wisely and still saying no to the softdrink

it was also the Frogdive Treasure Hunt and alot of fun!

sooooo - we won a prize!!!! was hoping for the trip to PNG or Vanuatu but got a Pelican/Hurrican case instead!!! soo woohooo! hubby totally drooling over the 'virgin' unpicked foam inside the case but i keep reminding him that "I" won it not him or us :)

cheers

Almity-Congrats on winning the Pelican case and fitting into your wetsuit again! Pelican makes some awesome water-proof cases. I have a small case that I pack my camera and cell phone in on both SCUBA and kayaking trips.

I'm going to the doctor's office this morning. My left foot has been swollen up since last Thurs and it was so bad yesterday I couldn't even put my shoe on. Getting back into running this time around has been rough. I had built up my mileage to almost 5 miles in Spring, pain-free, and then stopped over the summer due to the heat. I'm afraid I've got a stress fracture but maybe it's just a bruise? Oh well, I'll find out shortly.

First, I apologize for the whiney post! :D

Jenny, thank you for the thoughtful response and you are absolutely right. The only times I've been successful is when the weight loss is my first priority and it's just not right now, for whatever reason. I *could* find a way to work it if I really wanted to and I know whatever my reasons are for failing are just excuses, plain and simple. I'm going to take a little time and sit back and think about what it is I want out of my life and how I'm going to fit being healthy into that picture. I'd love to read the post you refer to if it's still around.

Almity, CONGRATS on the anniversary and the prize win! Please tell me though that you've been losing weight more than 5 months because otherwise, I want to know your secret for losing that much in 5 months!!

Bubble-head, sorry to hear about the foot and I hope it heals soon as to not derail your running progress.

Have a good week everyone!!

Found the link cork!
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124233
For what's it's worth, if you are willing to take a chance and go on a personal journey like I did last year, PM me for more details. I assure you, it is worth every penny. I got my life back thanks to The Journey.

Hi everyone. Almity, glad to see your diving again and congratulations on your prize. Your pictures on earlier threads have inspired me to do a before and after picture of myself. I took your suggestion to do the photobucket thing. I can't believe I'm doing this, but I think it will keep me motivated to do more. I still have a way to go so I'll just call this Before and Work in Progress. I think I've been doing good with my diet but I really want to try to get more exercise in. Well, here goes.

BeforeandAfter.jpg

wow - you look FANTASTIC!!!!!

AND at least 5yrs YOUNGER - well done to you on such a fantastic "work in progress"

good thing youre not my neice - i will be watching you like a hawk or more importantly, watching the others to keep their distance!!!!

:wave-smil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom