Tick Tock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is it just me or does everyone else find themselves in panic mode the last 2 weeks before season starts? Just 2 months ago I thought I had all the time in the world to get everything done on the boat and all my equipment. Now I am scrambling to finish before my April 1st splash date. It reminds me of the recurring nightmare where you miss your final high school exam and can't graduate. I will be happy when I have that first charter of the season out of the way. :shocked2:

No James you probably are not much different then the rest of us. I had a long project list and have only done about a third of it. But I did not set anything up until May, so I have another month to procrastinate... I have never had much luck with April diving in Hatteras anyway. But if get it in and out of the yard quickly then might get some fishing in before the diving takes over.

Dave... I have a light April, but once May gets here I am jammed up with bookings. So I will probably save all the projects topside for after I splash. At least the ones that are not in progress now.

I would love to come up there and dive with you. Let me know if you have room during the week in late April or May.

Dont wait! Procrastinate now! :) Got a ton of stuff basic servicing to do... i just look at the boat sometimes... then walk away..

This weather is killing me. I took on a couple of really big fiberglass projects, fixing some soft wood in the gunwales where my tank racks are, a 3x3 section of deck and I modified my stern fish box to make climbing over the transom with gear easier. But it has been cold, windy and sometimes wet. I had to go back in the water with a lot of work still yet to do and can't catch a weather break. I went down to the boat today to do some grinding and as soon as I got there it started raining. And it looks like it is going to turn into several more days of cold rainy weather. My first charter is in 10 days and now I am really under the gun. I am just trying to finish up the stuff that has to be done to run and the rest will just have to get done when it gets done.

James I know your pain. The big blue plastic tarp can be your friend here. Just make a simple frame and get one up over your work area. You can do almost anything under the tarp but you might have to mix the resin hot to set in this weather and the painting will have to wait. As much as it pains you the pretty paint work can wait for a break in your trips, after all it's a dive boat and gets beat up anyway.

Couple years ago when the new windows were going in the cabin I was in the same position. Had less than a week to go till the first trip and the job was not near done.
Ended up cutting short the fairing and painting, which I still swear I am going to go back and make right some day...

Right now I have the engine cooling systems tore apart and from there moving to the other stuff on the list. Rainy, windy and cold up in Hatteras too. When will winter end?

This is where I am today. Waiting for this rain to clear to get started again. Next week looks promising. I am excited to be able to work in shorts and a T shirt. Maybe even break a sweat. :)

Dave, 3 seasons ago I had to replace the entire cockpit deck. When it was time for my first charter, I only had the deck roughed in with one coat of resin on it. I bought a piece of carpet from Lowes for $50 and would throw it on when I had a charter and then keep working on it during the week.

photo (84).jpgphoto (85).jpgphoto (86).jpg

Good glad you are there and going to get out and looks like the wx will be at least doable for you guys down there. Good luck with your trip. If I am going to dive anytime before the season gets wound up for you I will give you a shout.

Now you can come up and work on my boat! I spent all last week in the engine room tearing apart the entire cooling system cleaning all the coolers and replacing almost every hose. Now have the intake pumps in pieces waiting for parts. Once they are back in it is to the yard for a week on the hard with a long list and after that the clean up and some deck paint, etc.

i also just finished stitching up a new enclosure for the bridge and fit it to the boat. It looks almost as good as the last one I had done professionally that cost me over 5k. And I have about 800 bucks in materials but a lot of my time in it. Maybe the start of a new career, I don't think so but the next one will look even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom