Tide table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The current in this case, clearly isn't based on the tide but other causes.

Ok I will play this game - what do you believe are the other causes for currents off MA?

Do you dive on boats in MA - have you noticed some times the currents are stronger and other times there is very little movement in the water. What is it that you think is causing this action?

Ok I will play this game - what do you believe are the other causes for currents off MA?

Do you dive on boats in MA - have you noticed some times the currents are stronger and other times there is very little movement in the water. What is it that you think is causing this action?
The Gulf Stream still has a ne flow up here. I believe there is a prevailing southerly current out of Canada too. I'm not an expert on currents, obviously, and I don't dive up here much. I'm just saying that I don't believe that checking the tide chart would have been of benefit to the OP based on the info provided and what I read regarding diving in the Maldives. I already acknowledged I misspoke regarding tides and current, what else do you want?

yes, I'm referring to continuous directional movement of water, like the Gulf Stream. And I agree that tides can meet this definition, especially near shore and my original post was incorrect. However, what I was reacting to was the discription of the OP that the dive operator scheduled the dive of interest at the same time daily. The current in this case, clearly isn't based on the tide but other causes.
Agreed.

Nothing - I thought you had a theory on why the currents change speeds.

So there is a general flow like you described from the prevailing Gulf Stream and Labrador Currents. But the tides have an impact as well as any weather on and off shore. There are lots of reasons the ocean picks up speed near the shore and you need to be aware if you are going to shore dive or boat dive off the coast.
:)

This place, which has one of the most famous tidal rapids in the world, also disagrees, in a very forceful manner: Clearly, whether you're there to dive, surf, or see the spectacle, it's a good idea to check the tide forecast.

As noted above, there are other places where the tide has little or no effect on the current. While local dive ops may have a good deal of experience you can't expect them to be experts at predicting currents that aren't largely a function of the tides. OTOH, you should expect them to choose a site based on the conditions they find rather than the conditions they hope to find.

That's a pretty amazing tidal surge. From google maps it looks like that place is about 100 miles inland from the sound and yet the tidal effect is still that great. Pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom