Tiger Shark attack off Makaha, Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funny how she (the doctor that was bitten) claimed it was only 4~6 feet long, by the time the story got in the paper it was an 18ft tiger,,,, come on,,,,, if bitten by an 18ft tigershark do you think you'd slowly walk out of the water and ask someone "can you please help me" and have only a 4 inch bite/abrasion,,, if you believe this story I can make you a GREAT DEAL on a slightly used King Kamehameha statue

Yea I am with you how things get stretched a little here and there. To the press' credit though, the report I heard is that they did see a 17-18 foot tiger in the area (from a search helicopter) but didn't think it was the same one due to the smaller size of the wound.

I thought Tiger Shark grew only to a max of 12ft. I might have to Google it.

Jeff

In 30 years I've only seen 3 Tiger sharks (but who knows how many saw me during that time :D )... and two were over 12 feet.

So yes, they get quite large. Two were seen while I was paddling in outrigger canoes or surfski's, one while spearfishing.

It was an "exciting" several moments being checked-out by a large predator while stupidly holding onto a stringer of speared & bleeding fish... I think I could have been attacked (a big maybe) if I had been free diving and spearfishing rather than scuba diving and spearfishing... I had the feeling that the sound of the regulators, our appearance, the good visibility, etc., alerted the tiger that we were not "prey"... but who knows. It could be that the shark was merely curious. It made a couple lazy circles at a range of maybe 30 feet away, then swam off slowly.

The weird part was how I felt at the time. My buddy pointed, I looked, and there was a BIG fish swimming slowly across our path... then I thought, " Oh, that's not a big fish, thats a really big shark. Wow. Uhhh, maybe holding on to these fish is not so smart..." (I was holding a 3-prong spear and the fish, my buddy has a 3-prong and a bang-stick). But then a few moments later it was gone. Just swam away and faded from view.

It was more exciting and surreal than scary, but we returned our small boat as soon as we felt sure the Tiger had left the area.

That encounter occured in the mid-80's, and pretty much put me off spearfishing :11:

Back
Top Bottom