Tiger shark encounter - what would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i used to shoot squirrels (and eat them too). then i just started hiking and
have never looked back

never shot anything underwater, and won't. it's not what i'm there for

but i can respect those who do... just stay away from me with
your bloody fish :wink:

fpsndiver:
No need to flame, you make the decision that is best for you based on your experiences, and I will make mine, they don't have to be the same. I have my reasons based upon personal experience. Bull shark came after my buddy Danny Long....we knew he was there for awhile.....Danny was your style, hang onto the fish, and get to the boat. That shark came in on Danny and latched onto the bag, which me and another buddy had to cut free from Danny. Once the bull had the bag, we surfaced in a calm and orderly fashion....bull didn't come after us. I am not a violent person, and I don't condone striking any animal, but if that Bull came back up the line at us, I would probably have struck him with the Speargun or stabbed him. This shark was extremely aggressive. I have seen sharks on many dives (see my photos), but never one like this, and when the bag was gone, the threat was gone.....at least long enough for us to get to the surface. Because of this incident, my speargun now has dry-rotting bands, and is basically there for folks I know to borrow. I have since traded in my gun for a camera. Although, I may stab a flounder or grab a lobster.....my spearfishing days are OVER.

Same here.

Thanks guys.

During the experience my brain was computing probabilities and anticipated outcomes for different actions with the options stated in your replies.

I had a friend in palm beach whom used to fight off sharks from his catch all the time. But he was appropriately armed to do so in case things went wrong, and was completely crazy on top of that.

I have a general theory when it comes to animals....size matters. A small aligator will always flee from you, but when it gets your size and mass...it starts to think, can I take this guy? Same with sharks. Small ones will buzz around you, but they're intimidated by your size. Big ones come right up to you and dont seem to afraid. However, when in frenzy mode, all bets are off. Another friend and I were chased out of the water by a pack of black tips once, zig-zagging all around us while surfing. They chased us right up to the edge of and onto onto a rocky, barnacle covered point.

You're right, size matters. What works for a 6 ft bull may not do so well with a 12 footer.

Tigers are a different critter. Bulls are aggressive and often unpredictable. But I figure any shark that is simply watching but has not yet gotten aggressive in any way, I don't want to simply hand it my fish & teach it something.

Sometimes you don't have a choice, they take them. Sometimes you do.

Around here (Panama City) we mostly see bulls. At least so far, that could change on any given day :wink:

Both Bulls & Tigers are serious sharks I put them up there with Great Whites.
IMHO, I would have been aggressive to the shark by swimming towards him with my spear out. No shark wants to get injured in an attack that's why they prey on weak & injured fish. No matter what you do you are taking a gamble. I would try several different approaches:

1) Leave the shark alone and observe his body language & hope he leaves.
2) If the shark comes closer or is showing aggressive behavior then I do the same. This isn't about trying to be tough but trying to ensure survival. I would spear him if it came to it, or go after the eyes or the gills with a knife.
3) Bottom Line let him know you aren't an easy meal. You will fight him to the death if it comes to it. Just my opinion!!!

H2Andy:
i used to shoot squirrels (and eat them too). then i just started hiking and
have never looked back

never shot anything underwater, and won't. it's not what i'm there for

but i can respect those who do... just stay away from me with
your bloody fish :wink:

I wholeheartedly agree with that qoute.

What you need in a case like this is more powerfull fins than your buddy. You don't have to out swim the shark, just your buddy.

I would release a brown cloud from my back side and then swim up with it hoping it is thick enough to cover my escape :D

Glad you and your buddy made it out safely and you did the right thing for you because you were there

Same here, good to know that you are OK.

But I can’t resist : Give Up Spear fishing. Sorry.

I had a colleague, he gave up spear fishing because a shark, out of nowhere came and snatched his catch (before he secured it) right in front of his nose.

Back
Top Bottom