Time For Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont, you haven't heard me do ANYTHING but invite the current Tweak folks to go diving . . . the "we" in my post was hypothetical.

And if you want to, be positive instead of being negative, and setup dives at other sites.

Years ago, I attempted to get people to actually take a stab at planning dives at "new to them" places. Figuring someone with more experience had been there at least once and could facilitate. Didn't work. Many people like "looking good" and "easy" (convenient, whatever). You know the history there of course.

So now I just take people places, trying to explain the why and how along the way. I have 2 spaces available for the Dungeness Crane on Jan 30th currently open and few takers. Max depth 90-95ft, high unpredictable current site, scooter & a big single or small doubles kinda dive. TS&M and Peter Guy are going either in my boat or their own depending on how many people we can drum up. I don't think they've done it before so its new to them. I've only done it once anyway.

I've also setup dives to various wrecks in the lake in both the EAN32 and 25/25 ranges. I tried taking some non-DIR people to the PB4Y (148ffw, which was new to them) but they cancelled. Also places in the San Juans like "Rob's Knob" a new pinnacle and Long Island Wall. And lastly I have a regular NWDC routine of taking a few of the most beginner beginners to the Maury Island barges on club dive dates.

So really, its a bit of a stretch to say I'm just a whiner about the neverending weekly practice sessions which seem to be common on the West Coast (not just Seattle).

Ummm I asked what the OP's goals were so maybe I could recommend some alternative sites which might help him develop as a diver. Working on some of his trouble spots on the way (up, down, or on the bottom). You and Lamont are the ones saying that weekly Cove2 pre-fundies practice is where its at.

Well this thread has gotten out of hand....Now I'm going to stupidly try and bring this thread back on topic.

My goals are to eventually cave dive and, I suppose, wreck dive. However, that does not appeal to me much.

What I want to know is what you had trouble with and why. Not why cove 2 sucks (it doesn't) or why we should move our Tweaks dives to another site.

Will

What I want to know is what you had trouble with and why.
Will

Had difficulty staying in position because I had no back kick at the beginning of class so had to rely on team mates' fist bump. Staying in position is important when the instructor demonstrates the skills and when your team mates are doing their skills.

Had trouble staying with the team during the timed descent and ascent because team diving was foreign to me until Fundies.

Had trouble with team awareness during OOA drill while shooting SMB doing a timed ascent because I'd never been task loaded like that in any class prior to Fundies.

I'm a bit confused...

Why are you confused? I want to cave dive, but wreck diving does not appeal to me. But maybe it will.

Thanks, Sam. THAT'S what I wanted. I'll keep the task loading in mind. You never do just one thing while diving!

Thanks, Sam. THAT'S what I wanted. I'll keep the task loading in mind. You never do just one thing while diving!

You'll get task loaded toward the latter half of the class as more skills are demonstrated and taught.

For me personally, another thing that helped was developing muscle memory of the locations of my D-rings so I could clip and unclip without using my eyes. Kept eyes on team mates and the task at hand. Rely on muscle memory not your eyes to clip and unclip your reg, SPG, double-enders, lights, etc.

Why are you confused? I want to cave dive, but wreck diving does not appeal to me. But maybe it will.

Sorry, for some reason I got the idea that you were definitely going to cave dive, might wreck dive, but you weren't particularly stoked on either. Confusion withdrawn :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom