Time for some serious planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

U/Wdiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Warning: long message ahead :)

My PI grand tour is now fast approaching, time to stop fantasising and start planning.
Aside from a Tubbataha trip second week of April, nothing is yet decided. In the last few months I`ve been reading, searching, researching and sifting through dozens of places and tons of information in an attempt to narrow the list down to the most interesting/appealing spots from my perspective. Still I came up with a very long `short list` that will, sadly, have to be narrowed down further.
The trip will be divided into 2 periods, the first, a month long I`ll be travelling on my own, for the second one I`ll be joined by my husband a week prior to leaving for Tubbataha, after which we`ll have 2-5 days before we leave for home (tickets are not booked yet-still contemplating whether to fly to MNL or CEB) .

What I`m looking for are first class dive sites where the reef is healthy and rich with lot of fish,some pelagic, special attractions and big stuff are very welcome, of course. We are very spoiled and have high standard as far as diving goes since our point of reference is the Red Sea.
As I said, the short list is long and I have to decide not only which places to drop but also which to do on my own and which to keep for when my husband arrives. He has already announced he doesn`t want to have to travel long hours or move around too much (lazy bugger) and hotels need to be ++ preferably with a masseur on hand.:eek:hbrother: I`m much less fussy, want to explore as much as I can and go for some of the off the beaten paths places, accommodation wise-simple and clean but with toilet/shower in the room and no Karaoke in or around the premises.

Here`s my list, in no particular order:

Sogod Bay-would love to dive with whale sharks, time should be just right-March/April, travel time and getting there seems to be a bit tricky though.

Northern Mindanao/Misamis Oriental/Camiguin

Bohol-Panglao/Balicsag/Cabilao etc.

Cebu-Moalboal/Pescador Island

Southern Negros-Dumaguete/Dauin/Apo Island/Siquijor

Mindoro-PG/Anilao and Apo Reef/Verde Island

Palawan-El Nido, obviously we`ll have to be in PPS for Tubbataha. I would really love to join one of Tao Philippines expeditions from Coron to El Nido or vice versa, but not sure if they`ll have one that correlates with my schedule, if they do it will entail spending a few days in Busuanga as well.

I left Malapascua out, not for lack of interest, less in Thresher Sharks and more in the opportunity to see Manta Rays that I simply adore. I read in some reports of blasts heard whilst diving, which is just to annoying and upsetting in my mind.

Any advice on the choice of places, comments, tips on and for diving, accommodation, which to do on my own and which to leave for part two, did I miss anything worth seeing or is there something not worth doing, would some areas be better by safari, how to get from one place to the other-which ferries are best and which best avoided, how much time in any given place, anything at all, please share you thoughts and wealth of knowledge and help make this trip a memorable one.

:sos:

Last edited:
Since you want to cut down on the travel times - it probably depends if your gonna fly into Manila or Cebu.
If Manila: you can dive Anilao and PG. You can see both big and small stuff here and the diving is very diverse in terms of walls-wrecks-drifts-deep....
If Cebu: You can check out Bohol, and Moaboal. This would be easy to access and awesome diving as well.
You really can't go wrong in the Philippines. All of these locations are superb diving. It just depends how much you want to travel.
Good luck on avoiding the Karaoke though. Let me know if you find a place without it!!!

If you do end up in Anilao/PG area.. Do not miss the opportunity to go to Verde Island. This wall dive is absolutely mind-blowing!!! It is a bit of a boat ride but you will not regret it!!!

Depending on your budget I think you may want to narrow your desired locations a bit. If you fly into Cebu, For logistical purposes I would recommend the following in the order listed

1. Moalboal (4days)
travel day
2. Siquijor (3days)
travel day
3. Apo (2 days)
travel day
4. Alona and Cabilao(even though I havent been to Cabilao) (4 days)
travel day
5. Sogod Bay. (3? days)
2 travel days
6. Anilao (3days)
travel day
7. PG (3 days)
Meet Hubby in Manila and Fly to Puerto P to meet liveaboard.

Anyway, in my opinion this would be a easy schedule to keep and with 3+ months to iron out the details I am sure you wont have any problem... I am happy to pass any info I can to you guys.

I suggested 4 days in Moalboal since it will be your jetlag days and may be dragging a bit.

Whatever you decide I think you have to/should meet your husband in Manila/Luzon for easy connections to PP.

IF you want any other advice feel free to PM me.
HTH
Cheers,
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
no idea how the red sea is compared to local diving but being at the center of marine biodiversity does help i guess :biggrin:

i won't volunteer an itinerary but some must-see spots based on overall reviews:

verde island (the center of the center... can't go wrong with that)
apo island (off dumaguete, world class marine sanctuary... couple 5* resorts there as well)
cabilao island (off bohol... i hear it's mind-blowing)

in-resort massages are almost guaranteed. most places have masseuses on hand or on call...

Jag

no idea how the red sea is compared to local diving but being at the center of marine biodiversity

Jag

if you think you are spoiled by the red sea, wait until you have dived the phillies!!!

or as i compare it:
what you can see in the philippines, diving like 5km you have to dive at least 200km in the red sea to see the same.

although viz is much better in the red see. exceptions might be apo island, verde island und tubbataha. apo reef i have not been but would asume good viz too.

will come back on your to do list

swisstrav - getting ready for the phills again ;-)

if your going with a bunch of other divers you could actually just book a dive safari in the visayas.
by doing that you could hit moalboal, malapascua, dumaguete, apo island, siquijor, bohol, coron, apo reef and maybe even sogod bay and camiguin.
it could come out cheaper in the end and less time constraining.
you could do puerto galera, anilao and verde while based in manila.

well just my 2 psi

If you go for the PG, Anilao (manila) route you can also add Coron (WW2 shipwrecks, vulcano lake) You can fly from manila to there for approx. 15$~25$

In PG you can visit Verde (1H boatride; absolutely mindblowing wall), dive the canyons and more. First class resorts are available

if your husbands says at night that he is going out to get a massage u might wanna offer a massage yourselve :D

if your husbands says at night that he is going out to get a massage u might wanna offer a massage yourselve :D

Thanks for the heads up, I`ll pack the leash or maybe handcuffs, just in case :wink:

As far as accommodation in PG, aside from El Galeon, which other resorts are worth checking? I`d rather avoid Sabang Beach, sounds too noisy and hectic, looking for good value for money place, good food and good dive operation (or a good op. near by). Problem is we`ll hit PG during Holy week. :hm:

How is the beach in front of Out of the Blue?

I stayed at La Laguna last time. Overall, good place. I liked the beach and clear water at Big Laguna. Considering Out of the Blue next time. It looks a little more private (from the web anyway) compared to La Laguna and ocean view room is a must.

Curious, never seen anyone recommend La Laguna in the year I've been reading this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom