Time Share Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 years ago Jeanne and Francis took the roof off of our resort and badly damaged much of Grand Bahama Island. That year we couldn't go as they were making repairs.
There was a surcharge on our maintenance fees that year to help with the costs.

Last year we were there when Wilma arrived.
seems like Grand Bahama has had enough direct hits recently, that it isn't due again for quite a while!!

They rebuild, People come back.

BrianV:
What do you all think of Marriott's time shares? I definitely think fixed week is the way to go by the way!

Marriott's are top-of-the-line properties. Expensive as a result. But full of amenities. I don't care about exercise rooms, swimming pools, community hot tubs, etc.

The maintenance fees for some timeshare properties MAY seem like a good deal. But what that ultimately means is when a major renovation (roof, kitchen, bathrooms) will require an additional assessment.

Fixed weeks at least guarantee you get to go when you originally want to. But if something comes up and you want a different week, you may be stuck trying to rent it, trade it, or lose it. That's a risk only you can assess. Flexible weeks, like points, means you better be on top of your game plan and as soon as you are in your window to reserve, you do so.

I'm still on the fence here. Our work schedules aren't necessarily forgiving and we rarely take week long trips, usually just 4-5 day trips.

good luck finding a timeshare. We have purchased from Holiday timeshares and were happy with the results. Our first timeshare we bought from the Resort while we were there and paid a whole lot more than the resales. I would try to check out the resort before you choose to buy over the internet.
We have traded in and really have to search to find anything where we want to go. The carribean is difficult to find in the winter months unless you want to go to the Dominican Republic or All-inclusive in Mexico.

BrianV, we went to Branson, Mo, this summer and almost got a Marriott timeshare. Maintenance at $500-$600 per year and one week in a three-bed, two-bath suite for about $17,000. My take is that if we could afford that, we should already be on the plane to Coco View in Roatan. If we couldn't afford the trip, we shouldn't buy the timeshare.
Marriott has hotels in Aruba and St. Thomas and agreements with several other Caribbean resorts. Has anyone had experience with that?

I would go with one that:

1. Allows easy swapping of weeks
2. Can be put into the RCI system so you can go/stay just about anywhere
3. Has the most in place assets

My wife and I have 2 weeks with Fairfield, we can easily swap out points there to use anywhere, we own in Florida but have used it for:

Tenerife, Canary Islands
London, England
San Francisco, Ca.
Cancun, Mx
Bahamas (Daughters Honeymoon)
Florida (Brothers honeymoon)
Florida (took in-laws for a week)

We are looking at using it for a trip to England/Italy next year for a couple of weeks.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Save your money and use it to go where you want, when you want.

Timeshares are a liability, not an investment, and you'll take a huge beating if you want to get out of it, typically because if you want out, it's not a good deal, which means nobody else will like the deal either.

Remember how hard the timeshare salesperson worked you over to get you to sign? Think you could lower yourself to that level of deception and pressure when you want to get rid of yours?

Every time a hurricane wipes your timeshare off the face of the earth, you're on the hook for rebuilding. When insurance goes up, so do your fees. If they discover toxic mold, you're on the hook for that too.

Also, because the maintenance fees are forever, the only way to make them stop is sell, die or declare bankruptcy.

Owning property is great. Owning property that someone else manages, in areas that are frequently hot, damp and hit by hurrcaines is not. If you want a vacation, stay at a resort. If it blows away during the next storm, you can send them a condolence card, but nobody is going to send you a multi-thousand dollar bill for your share of the rebuilding effort.

Terry

Trisha:
BrianV, we went to Branson, Mo, this summer and almost got a Marriott timeshare. Maintenance at $500-$600 per year and one week in a three-bed, two-bath suite for about $17,000. My take is that if we could afford that, we should already be on the plane to Coco View in Roatan. If we couldn't afford the trip, we shouldn't buy the timeshare.
Marriott has hotels in Aruba and St. Thomas and agreements with several other Caribbean resorts. Has anyone had experience with that?

Old thread but I'll second MIKERAULT's advice.

We've owned a timeshare for over 15 years. Although I doubt it's the same company as MIKERAULT's timeshare ours is with Fairfield Bay in Arkansas. We have 2 weeks a year, static and guaranteed. It's in the RCI orgainzation.

We never spent a single night at Fairfield Bay. We trade those weeks for weeks at other properties, mostly in the Carribean, and we use them every year. Someone mentioned the Morritt's Tortuga Club in Grand Cayman. We've use it there and next door at the Morritt's Grand which is much nicer.

It takes more planning because you have to book with RCI 3 to 12 months in advance if you want to be assurred of getting the property and date of your choice.

The flexibility and the varity available makes up for any hassle associated with planing ahead.

We like our timeshare in Aruba. We don't have to worry about hurricanes. I have traded to Grand Cayman (The Reef) and other ones in Aruba, and Puerto Vallarta on Interval International's 2 for 1 deals. I have also rented it out to others. Our maintenance fee is around $400, and if so mething drastic happened, I would just quit paying and they could repossess the property. I figured that I have spent about $165 a night so far and we have had the timeshare I think 5 years. So any more stays just lowers the total amount per day spent. And it is a great property. Can't wait to get there Dec 21-28th!
PS so far I like Aruba the best! Am hooking a week in Bonaire just before the Aruba week this year.

I own a timeshare at the Morritts Tortuga Club on Grand Cayman's East End. It is a 1bdrm/1 bath poolside condo. It is a floating week each year, plus a bonus week each year. The bonus week can be used anytime, but week 51 and 52, and for any size unit. All you do is pay the maintenance fee for the size of unit your getting. We have moved to Hawaii and aren't able to use it like we use to. I would like to sell it to someone who loves to dive because it is a awesome place. I'm asking $2000.00 plus $300.00 for transfer of deed. You would be able to start using it 2008. Let me know if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom