Time to buy my own gear... need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will find most divers on the board will recommend a backplate and wing setup (BP/W).

Is this statement perhaps a bit of a stretch? Or should it be, "You will find the most vocal divers on the board will recommend a backplate and wing setup (BP/W)."? Not saying there's anything wrong with the choice of a BP/W ... just an issue with the accuracy of the statement. :wink:

Thank you for all the reply's they have been very helpful, Although I do like a lot of the gear and set ups that you have mentioned, I'm kinda in a bind since I'm in Okinawa at the moment because I will be able to save around 600 dollars if I buy my gear over here, but they do have a limited selection and the gear set up I have mentioned is some of the better that is available. Being able to order online isn't available for me so I have to do it at the dive shop on base, Jacket stile BCD's arnt bad Ive used both that and the back inflate, and a plate w/ wing.... I'm just looking to do rec diving and no tech, but my only problem is will this gear be fine in so cal waters?

I would reccomend:
Dive Rite Nitek Trio

I think this is overkill, a Nitek Duo might be a better fit. It's relatively cheap, the interface is intuitive (or at least, it was for me) and it'll handle Nitrox if you ever want to get into that.

The Cobra 3 is a very good computer, and does air or Nitrox if you get into that at some point. As far as the BCD, what makes you comfortable? Jacket style, back inflate, bp/w? You say you have dove them all, just remember whichever you get, make sure it has enough lift to deal with the extra weight diving the colder water of SoCal. The Mikron is a nice choice, easy to maintain, and very reliable and small to minimize jaw fatigue, I would not have any qualms about your choices, if the SP jacket BC has enough lift, and you are happy with it. I dive a SP Knighthawk back inflate, Aqualung Legend LX Supreme and a Cobra computer, and am very happy with all of them, the only person that has to be comfortable with your gear is you.

I'd recommend to see if you can rent a backplate/wing setup in Okinawa and dive with it then compare with the jacket BC to see which one you like better.

I like your choices of gear, Of course, I have some opinions. If you are diving N. Cal the Aqualung Titan LX is about the same price as the Micron but has a sealed first stage which does better when the water gets really cold (I have several hundred dives on a Legend LX, love that thing). But the Micron is just fine for SoCal. If your base sells Aqualung, for a BCD take a look at the Seaquest Balance. It's my second favorite BCD and an overall good value and totally suitable for cold water. A friend of mine has more than 500 dives on his most of them in the Monterey/Carmel area. The Cobra 3 is a great computer, but it is attached to an air hose (my preference, but not everyone agrees); if you choose to go with a wrist mount, look at the Vyper (same computer); you can add wireless transmitter later if you choose to go air integrated.

Good diving.

If money is a concern I would reconsider the Cobra, it is a good but expensive computer ($800 list price, I think). You can buy a Gekko from Leisure Pro for $225.....

Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer, White

It is not air integrated nor has the compass nor dot matrix display but it gives you the exact same NDL algorithm...which is the important part of the computer....

You can get a solid brass and glass SPG for $70.....

Edge Precision 1 Pressure Gauge

Both will ship to a FPO/APO.......

Others have questioned the lift in your BC and the sealed first stage of the reg.....with an eye on diving in Californian waters....which is what you asked "is this gear suitable for cal diving".....

Don't get caught up in buying "on-sale" gear - the most expensive gear you buy is the stuff that sits unused in the closet because you bought the wrong stuff...

I have a closet full of great deals that I don't use........I wish I had known about SB when I first started diving........:)

I would also check that the reg warranty is good for the US…..I believe Aqualung comes with free service parts for life, make sure that the warranty will be honored in the US. I recall that 25 years ago when I worked in electronics, those bought overseas at BX/PX’s did not have US warranty, but I might be wrong.

Hope this helps.........M

Back
Top Bottom