Tip to Owner/Operator too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptAl

Registered
Reaction score
There are several smaller dive ops on Coz run by the owner who also acts as dive guide. Besides tipping the boat operator who follows your drift, is it customary to also tip the owner/dive guide who is already making a profit from your payment? At this point I want to add that I'm not cheap (really) and I'm more than willing to tip for service above and beyond expectations. I'm just curious as to what is considered the "norm" in these situations.

Good question, but if the owner is guiding the boat, chances are they aren't making a killing and could use your tip money.

even if they also happen to be the owners.

Nobody gets rich running a 6 pack.

Emily Post might not approve, but even if they are owners, when the DM and Capt work hard to provide a good, safe trip, then I tip them.

Dear Al,

I am the owner of a dive op in Cozumel and ocasionally take out trips as the DM. That is not something I always do but find to be necessary for various reasons. When I do, I usually tell the divers that I don't expect tips but it would be good to leave something for the captain. You see, the DMs usually split the tips with the captains and those tips represent an important amount of their income.

In those ocasions where I do get the tips I give them all to the captain--that makes up for the many times there is no tip because I am the owner! However, IMHO, if the captain has not been very helpful to you, no tip at all is warranted.

Dave Dillehay

2 Questions Dave:

What's you operation called??

How much is the rule of thumb, either per day, or per week for a combo DM and Captain.

I ask, because I just came back from Coz, and as I have no real understanding of what they make a day (Or at least I didn't when I left my tip), I was wondering what you honestly felt was considered a "normal" tip.

OK, question number 3

Why don't I get tipped for doing my job?

Dave owns Aldora.

My rule is $5 per dive. I usually give it to the DM and let him split it with the Captain. I tip everyday since your DM and/or captain might change from day to day.

$5 to be be split two ways? Seems $2.50 each for a two tank trip sounds a bit frugal. $10 ($5 each) seems about right if service was good, i.e. helping gear up, help getting back into boat, taking the time to point out all the little critters, etc.

Dave Dillehay once bubbled...
Dear Al,

I am the owner of a dive op in Cozumel and ocasionally take out trips as the DM. That is not something I always do but find to be necessary for various reasons. When I do, I usually tell the divers that I don't expect tips but it would be good to leave something for the captain. You see, the DMs usually split the tips with the captains and those tips represent an important amount of their income.

In those ocasions where I do get the tips I give them all to the captain--that makes up for the many times there is no tip because I am the owner! However, IMHO, if the captain has not been very helpful to you, no tip at all is warranted.

Dave Dillehay

Hey Dave! See you in April!

As to the tipping, I usually figure 15% of the cost of the day of diving is a fair tip.

Oh Aldora, sorry I didn't know.

So guys, you're telling me for me and my wife, for a week, I should have tipped $180.00 !!!!!

Uhmmmm, that's a crap load of money!

Great, now I feel REAL bad :-(

DeepScuba once bubbled...

OK, question number 3

Why don't I get tipped for doing my job?

1 - Because you aren't doing a job that most people think of as tip appropriate;

or

2 - Because you live in Canada?

Tipping is a mighty strange ritual, isn't it? The US has a cultural consensus regarding which professions get tipped. Tips are for the people who do service industry jobs (and usually earn some pretty low wages from their employers.) In these instances, the quality of the consumers experience depends on the employee who takes care of them. Tips are given in appreciation of good service and witheld if service is poor.

I have no problem tipping a waitress, cab driver, hairstylist, or the nice Korean lady who gives me my bikini wax. I have a bit of a problem when I see a boldly labeled tip jar sitting on the counter at the local ice cream parlor, however. I've even seen a tip jar next to the cash register at a shoe store. I'm sorry. I don't think that taking my money, putting it in the cash register, and handing me my purchase warrants a tip.

I tip divemasters and boat crews because I see how hard they work to ensure that I have a positive experience. I also want to help ensure that the crew will be as eager to help me if I return to dive with them again.

Tim, I agree with you. The crew gets 15% unless something extraordinary happens on the trip.

Back
Top Bottom