Tipping in the Phillipines

Do you tip your dive crew ?

• Yes, I usually tip 500p or less for the day (2 tanks)

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes, I usually tip more than 500p for the day (2 tanks)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No, who tips in the Philippines ?

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Bacon

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivinRich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched and found a couple of older threads, but figured I would do another one with a poll :)

Let me know what you think about tipping your dive shop employees here.....

I have been only scuba diving for a couple years now. I tip $5 US per tank here in California and the same in Cozumel. When I first started diving, (OW certified in PI/Batangas/Mabini/Anialo), in 2008 I knew nothing about tipping. I thought the price the resort charged me for the DM went to the DM. I just didn't know at the time that DM's work mostly for tips. So after awhile I noticed that certain DM's never wanted, (or were available), to go out with us. When I started reading here on scubaboard about tipping, I then realized what I wasn't doing.
Now, when I return this April-May I want to be generous in my tipping to those DM's/captains, with cash and ubongs, (gifts for their children), but at the same time not "overdo" it.
Now the question is, how much is proper? 500 pesos is about $10US, that's a full days wages for most pinoys. I am thinking 100-200P per day of diving.
What do others think?
When we go every year, I usually hire a driver and a cook for the time we are staying and we pay about 150P/day for this service.

Yes, this is the reason I started this thread as well, you just put some context with it, thank you. Maybe I should have included a lower #, such as 1-200p per (2) tanks.

Also, I'm wondering who to actually tip, the DM's themselves, add it to the bill at the end of the day/trip, or do some shops have a tip jar ?

Thanks for the response and those who have voted !

wow you guys tip a lot

I tipped, I believe, 1500 pesos after my DM course to the people who work in the shop and are not instructors (500 each)

They seemed surprised about the amount and where really happy about it..

10$ is more like a weeks wager in PH I believe.. Was pretty close to broke when I left so I coudnt afford more but I would hate it if they think I am cheap guy

Here in Ca most boats have a tip jar. They split the amount between the crew/cook/DM's.
In Cozumel, I always tip the DM directly, but in front of the captain. They spilt it as well.
I don't think I would tip the resort or shop in the PI. I would give it directly to the DM.
That way it is sure to get to them, plus it's just more personal.
Amount to be based on their service. They haul your gear to and from boat, sometimes even rinsing and hanging it up, help aboard with your gear, switch out tanks quickly, and get in the water with you, (this does not happen in CA). They are sometimes great guides and DM's at the same time. So how much?

for a 2 day (5-6 dives) dive vacation in Anilao, I leave about P600 to the 3-man boat crew, none for my DM. He's richer than me and a good friend of mine. Christmas season is different, I leave about a P1,000 and some shirts and towels to the boat men.

Outside of Anilao, say a 4-5 day dive vacation, I leave about P1,250 to the DM/3 man boat crew with the DM getting P500 of it. I leave about P500 at the tip box for the waiters/cook and personally hands over P200-250 plus chocolates/cookies/Doritos (unopened) to the staff who cleans, changes the linen/towels and sanitizes my room. I also give out 150-200 to the driver who takes me to and from the resort/airport (the longer he drives, 3 hours, he gets P200 extra).

I don't leave that special tip to the DM if he's "lazy" or clearly "favors" a group over us. I love "room service".

And Sonar, minimum wage in the PI is about $5-6 a day ;D.

i guess a sliding scale based on volume would also work locally...

remember that for the boatmen and DM (local guy, not a manila bloke guiding for the weekend) they pretty much calculate their earnings on a daily basis

ergo P100 at the end of the day has actually a lesser value as P500 for 1 weeks' diving... this is because he has 500 on hand at the end of the day even if it took him fairly longer to earn it (that's why we're not very good with investments here but that's another story)

there's also volume: if everyone on the boat (say 5 divers) tip the boatmen 200 each for a daytrip that's 1,000 - so the boatmen taking home 300 each is not a cheap tip for a day's diving considering there is some income already from the boat hire itself

Jag

I give to the general fund usually via a jar or wooden container in the restaurant and the general fund in the dives shop. I tip separately the divemaster because I use his skills a lot in spotting for me for photography. I also give extra amount to the most efficient server in the restaurant.
I feel that tipping is optional but have always given tips in every trip I have made except to one "cruise director" who did actually nothing. I was not the only one who refrained from doing so.

When I go diving strictly for pleasure, I tip depending on the service. If I'm at the location for more than a couple of days and the service is great like it typically is here in the Philippines, I will Tip around 1000P to my DM if I had the same guy the entire time, andI will give 500P to the Captain and crew(total). That is the high end of my tipping scale and it decreases accordingly, depending on how well (or not) they handle my gear including Camera etc... Since I routinely pleasure dive with one particular provider where I live I just periodically leave a tip, but I dont have any set scale/formula.

I always, always, always give the tip directly to the person I want it to go to. I leave it up to that person to share with other folks as may be customary at their location.

Cheers

When we dove in the PI last year, both Dauin and Siquijor area, the four of us left the Dm about $60 for 3 days, and the 3 man crew about $75. No wonder they were so happy!!:shocked2: HOWEVER, we do usually ask the owner/proprietor if it is OK to tip this amount first as not to disrupt the dive economics too much. It nice to be able to put a big O' grin on their faces at the end of a trip. We are returning in 3 weeks...We'll see if they remember us:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom