Tipping in the Phillipines

Do you tip your dive crew ?

• Yes, I usually tip 500p or less for the day (2 tanks)

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Yes, I usually tip more than 500p for the day (2 tanks)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No, who tips in the Philippines ?

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Bacon

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

normally, we tip the DM around 100 per diver per dive so 200 per diver for a two tank dive. but at least 500 if there is just two of us in the boat. then about half that for the boat crew. the rate can vary depending on how good the service is or how many bags we have that the boat crew have to carry to and from the car and boat.
1000 may seem a lot for a DM guiding 5 divers but remember, most dive sites, specially anilao, are busy only on saturdays and sundays. the rest of the week, they dont earn anything unless they go fishing. better if they earn more during weekends so they dont need to fish during weekdays.

hehe

One night in Coron we were taken from our bungalow on an island to coron town and hooked up there with some friends wo stayed in town. We got totally wasted and had a blast. Our boatman was supposed to take us back around 2300 but we asked if he minded if we stayed longer. He didnt, especcially when we bought beers, pool and food for him and his friends. At the end it became like 03.00 and he was asleep. We felt pretty ****ty about it cause he pbb had to wake up early and all.

Everybody pretty much decided right there to give him a nice tip. So when we left the boat everybody gave him some. Turned out that we handed over 3000pesos :D

hehe

One night in Coron we were taken from our bungalow on an island to coron town and hooked up there with some friends wo stayed in town. We got totally wasted and had a blast. Our boatman was supposed to take us back around 2300 but we asked if he minded if we stayed longer. He didnt, especcially when we bought beers, pool and food for him and his friends. At the end it became like 03.00 and he was asleep. We felt pretty ****ty about it cause he pbb had to wake up early and all.

Everybody pretty much decided right there to give him a nice tip. So when we left the boat everybody gave him some. Turned out that we handed over 3000pesos :D
you dutch blokes are so nice when you're drunk hahahaha

btw, next time you're in town, i'll gladly drive you around in a bangka

Jag

We are in Cebu now and about to leave for Palawon. During our week stay the 2 of us did 10 dives each and for the 20 dives used the rule $10/tank. So we were happy to leave DM $200 for the week and he can share however they do. That was 10,000 pesos for $200. The tip money is budgeted into the dive trip. Also the resort has a box to leave for all the other staff and we’ll leave that separate.

We are in Cebu now and about to leave for Palawon. During our week stay the 2 of us did 10 dives each and for the 20 dives used the rule $10/tank. So we were happy to leave DM $200 for the week and he can share however they do. That was 10,000 pesos for $200. The tip money is budgeted into the dive trip. Also the resort has a box to leave for all the other staff and we’ll leave that separate.
Assuming this is USD? Did you leave in local currency equivalent or ... ? Heading there in 3 weeks, thanks

I have been a dive instructor in the Philippines since 2008 and most people do not tip. I would estimate that less than 5% of our guests leave tips. Tipping is not in the local culture, so it is not expected. If you do tip, your DM will really appreciate it. I have seen the divemasters get anything from 100 pesos (US$2) up to 1000 pesos (US$20) in a day. Sometimes the guests will go and buy some beers for the crew and sit and chat with us for a couple hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom