Tipping your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P.A.D.I. stands for Poor And Destitute Instructors.

Please tip accordingly.

Crap, I didn't tip enough. Have some work to do in that area I guess.

I've never tipped a DM. Never even heard of it. Tipping a mechanic is insane! You go in for an alternator swap and he charges you the book rate of 4 hours labor. It takes him 30 minutes to do the repair and he bills you for $70 an hour labor. I think in the north eastern US tipping is more common. In the vast majority of the country it is not.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Nudie; I hate tipping too and wish the "tippee" was paid a living wage, but b/c it is what it is, yes, I do tip.

Most of the time 20% at a res't -

On a day dive charter, I normally tip $10. $20 if my wife is with me. Can't think of a time I did not tip on a dive boat.

I'm finding out, based on some of the comments, that that's on the low side vs what some have posted. I dive regularly w/ 1 outfit (2 - 6 trips per month) - wonder if some of the posters don't (for geographic reasons, whatever) dive as much and are more generous because they are on vacation, etc.

I think more than $15 per trip is very generous, but respect everyone's right to do what they feel appropriate.

I will tell you that on every trip there are those who don't tip at all - the DM's have confirmed this to me.

Europeans are known for not tipping - I don't think they are necessarly "cheap" but, when you go out to eat over there, the service is almost always included - same in places like Costa Rica. No so in the USA where many seem to "have their hand out" : )

I think there was a thread sometime back about one of the liveaboards who required the gratutity "up front" with trip payment because the the crew complained that after a week, with a european (lets call it "non american") cliental, they felt stiffed. You could say to the owners, well, pay them a living wage, but again, it is what it is.

Last trip to Cozumel, I dove with a super sharp guy from Sweden; lived and worked in London and was an oil trader for one of the large international banks. Just from the conversation, he made a very good living. (Making a long story shorter here).

When he was dropped off at his hotel, the only thing the DM and Cap't received was a "thanks" - I thought that was cheap on his part because he had dove all over the world and lived in the US for a while.

Where are you diving? In Mexico or the Bahamas, there are a lot of dive hands that take the bus to the boat and go home to the most humble dwelling. If they provide useful and friendly service, they get a good tip.

Often in Florida, the dive master is a guy or gal with a good first income that got into it for a hobby. Live near the boat? Be a dive master and dive free! I feel less compelled to tip a Mercedes owner who claims to "dive for drinking money".

One man always gets the tip. Ham at Jupiter Dive is a retired teacher and often presents a lesson on the marine life we expect to see on that trip. He even has a little blackboard. He has inspired my kid to learn and investigate the ocean. A guy like that is solid gold.

Thanks, Ham.
2nd your post re Ham Mason

He is a fantastic instructor, diver and a great person - he is so busy instructing that he seldom has a trip as a DM.

I've never tipped a DM. Never even heard of it. Tipping a mechanic is insane! You go in for an alternator swap and he charges you the book rate of 4 hours labor. It takes him 30 minutes to do the repair and he bills you for $70 an hour labor. I think in the north eastern US tipping is more common. In the vast majority of the country it is not.
Don't agree at all - traveled all over the US and never saw a "No Tipping" sign in a res't in Alabama, Arizona, Wisconsin, Iowa, or any place outside of the north east - don't "like" tipping" and wish the system were otherwise, but as long as it is, what are you going to do - stiff the waiter, barber, etc?

The mechanic in your example is making a good, living wage; also its not customary to tip a mechanic, but it is to tip a barber, waiter, cab driver, sky cap, bellman, etc. Most of their income - right or wrong - comes from gratuties.

The DM on the boats I most frequently dive is not paid. Only compensation other than the free diving (and maybe some discounts on dive gear) is tips.

PS If the DM was making $70 per hour:

(1) I would not tip him/her

(2) I'd get my DM cert and start working as one!

Remember, Tipping is not a city in China!

I am that a$$hole who paid $18.79 for dinner w/ a twenty and left the rest for the waitress. I am generally not a big tipper and I have good reason but depending on the situation I will tip more than the customary amount also.

I worked in a restaurant for something like 4 years as a line dishwasher all the way up to a line cook and I catered events for upwards of 700 people. maybe in the entire time I worked in a restaurant I got $20 total from all the waitresses sharing tips and that was only while I washed dishes.

I watched the bar tenders and wait staff take home between $80 and $250 (or more for big events) per person per night on top of their hourly salary and after work they would leave to buy a couple packs of smokes, a bag of their favorite illegal substance, a handful of scratch offs, and a bottle of booze (case of beer) and the next day they would call and ask if I can pick them up on my way to work because they cant afford gas. of course not all of them would buy everything on this list every night but it was all to common.

if your food came out to you cold, everyone blames the cook not the wait staff who left if up in the window while they finished their smoke.

Of course this doesn't represent every wait staff member in the world but I generally tip as though this is how every wait staff person was because I never know. Its their job to serve the food and make sure drinks are full so I see little reason to pay even more for service.

with dive masters on the other hand I try and read the individual and tip accordingly, if they are friendly and seem like they are going to do more than blow my money on a bottle of booze then I am more likely to tip better.

In coz last year I tipped $5 or $10 per day a couple times depending on what I had in my pocket and a couple days I didn't tip at all but at the end of the week I made a special tip for each crew member (2 DM's, 2 deck hands, 1 captain) based on my experience and who I felt deserved it.

But when it comes to diving I dont like to have any one carry my gear or tanks or assemble anything, I dont like to have people constantly flashing their light around to point things out, I dont like big groups, and I dont like having other people in the group control when I have to surface so these things way on my decision.

if your the kind of person who expects the DM assemble your kit and carry your gear to the boat then you probably should tip IMO.

If they ignore you, don't help with your gear, then I ignore them.

Is having somebody set up your equipment generally appreciated? I believe I'd rather do that myself than stand watching.

Now... washing the gear, rinsing it out, and hanging it to dry would be worth quite a tip. Nobody has offered to do that yet.

Don't agree at all - traveled all over the US and never saw a "No Tipping" sign in a res't in Alabama, Arizona, Wisconsin, Iowa, or any place outside of the north east - <snip>

Who said there were "no tipping" signs? *confused* Tipping wait staff is common worldwide. Tipping professionals seems to be a Yankee thing. I personally find it insulting to be offered a tip as a professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom