Tips for a first time uw photographer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have my first dive trip with a uw camera coming up at the end of March. I'm shooting a G15 in a Nauticam housing with a single SS YS01 strobe.
Strobe placement is generally directly above, slightly behind the lense and tilted upwards to reduce backscatter- all to simulate natural sunlight. Starting out, I would only use this initial placement (as opposed to trying to get too adventurous with side lighting, inward lighting etc). Then figure out how much light you need for a pleasing exposure. Manually adjusting strobe strength is fairly easy as long as you have enough time underwater to set up the shot and then shoot a few different shots.

With the YS 01, you need to be within 3' of the subject- preferably within 12''. Be selective with your shots and shoot only when the opportunity is there to isolate the subject and shooting from below when possible.

Edge's book has good advice regarding this as you will have seen.

RAW of course...

Personally I started in AV Mode as opposed to full manual. When I better understood the effects of the aperture, I went to full Manual for more creativity, but you can make very interesting pictures with AV alone.

Stay shallow. Depth makes it that much harder. If you have a like-minded buddy, try to stay above 2ata. Plenty of time and gas. This requires a lot of discipline but if your goal is to take 'quality' photos, then the shallows is the best place to do this when starting out. Perfect trim and horizontal hovering while waiting for fish to relax and turn to the camera is crucial- fish tails are boring.

A 'private' guide will always be better for photography than trying to follow a group. Don't forgo your duties as a buddy simply because you have a camera- but fully expect that your buddy will forgo theirs...

A 'chiller bag' from a supermarket keeps your housing from drying out after the dives until you can soak...
imageGen.jpg

KISS. Start slowly, resist twiddling knobs and buttons. Close, then even closer. Shoot upwards.

Consider your approach and exit strategy when dealing with sensitive bottoms/reefs.

Reading the most current Alert Diver and the experience of a recent dive trip further ingrained methods for getting close to subjects.
I live far from the ocean and only get to dive a few times per year. So when it happens, excitement is at a high and recent experience is at a low. I sometimes have to re-learn what I already should know but the lessons apply to us all.

Grand Turk has a significant number of Nassau Groupers and I wanted to get some nice photos of them. Early in the week with wide angle lens on, the groupers would just not let me get into position for a good composition. I was not chasing them but still my movements caused them to be nervous. It was a bit frustrating.

Later in the week, I moved to a macro setup and started spending considerable time playing peek-a-boo with gobies. Its just flat out fun to try and get a goby peaking over coral with a dark background or some curious angle and lighting. When I would get good and engrossed with the gobies, time would stand still and my movements would essentially stop. When I would ease back from the goby and coral, often a large grouper would be very close to me, watching me watching the goby.
So when the wide angle lens was back on, I slowed down as if shooting a goby. A grouper came over to see what this big blob was doing hanging around and not moving much, allowing a photo.
So if you are a beginner, or just been out of the water a while and acting like a beginner, likely you are moving too fast for most subjects. Perhaps this makes you look more like a predator to them. Very slow motion might cause them to become more curious.

Peek-a boo with a goby
http://www.shiningse...15683&k=9c32C8p
http://www.shiningse...80276&k=bLVTgVt

eye to eye with a curious grouper. I have to move away to get this shot as he was too close for more than an eyeball shot at first.
http://www.shiningse...21518&k=DfFpsz3

And finally a reasonably decent grouper shot..
http://www.shiningse...17827&k=mGqB26k

Thanks again for the help!

I'm currently on Cozumel and have had a fun learning experience with my camera. I've spent a fair amount of time reading the manual and becoming familiar with the camera and button functions themselves. I also took it to the local pool twice for a leak test and first try. Upon arrival I also took a shore dive to work with the camera a bit more. I also skipped taking it out the first day of boat diving, just to get comfortable again.

I have to say that the task loading is much more than I anticipated. I'm getting used to it, but I definitely underestimated it.

The current hasn't helped much, but I figured that to be the case when I booked the trip. Other circumstances prevailed.

Getting a good shot of an open swimming fish is very hard for me. Going to try to really slow down my approach and see what happens.

So here are my first shots. Nothing great here, but I suppose it shows a starting point. Again shooting a Canon G15 in a Nauticam housing with a YS01 strobe. Raw into Lightroom. For the most part I have the camera in AV, EV +1, ISO 100, F 4.0, TTL on strobe.

First Splendid Toadfish (1 of 1).jpgRed Sponge Combo (1 of 1).jpgYelloe Anemone (1 of 1).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom