Tips for Coz drift diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi 2 Bar,

....been to Coz twice...this past July (Dive with Martin) and again in late Oct. ( Liquid Blue). Log books never came up, and C-cards never inspected, although prior to the trip we filled out waviers listing our scuba certs and student #s, so I suppose the shops could have those verified that way.

Did 8 dives on both trips, and had never dove blue waters before, although I was AOW/Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures certified prior to the July trip....and had also done a week of cave diving in Akumal prior to my Oct trip.

Trust me, you will have a sensational time....I can't get enough of Cozumel!

I 'adapted' to drift diving very quickly....it didn't turn out to be as big a deal to cope with as I expected......the main 'problem' will be the frequency with which the divemaster wishes to 'stop' to point out/lure out some creature hidden within the coral........often at that point you'll find yourself REALLY finning/burning air to stay-in-place...that can get annoying, depending on how often they do it.

I noticed Liquid Blue seemed to be better than Dive with Martin in that respect...we did less stopping on those dives, which makes drift-diving much more enjoyable.

Also, although Liquid Blue costs more per dive, they use PST 120 steels, whereas Dive with Martin uses AL80's (although, by special request they did provide me with their biggest tanks...Scubapro (Faber) LP 95 steels, which they 'borrowed' from their 'technical' diving side of the shop...which I appreciated.)

(if you use Dive with Martin and want those bigger tanks, alert them in advance, my dive shop who booked the trip arranged everything in advance so the tanks were on the boat ready for me when it pulled up to the dock @ El Cid)

I'd recommend both shops, but I'd give Liquid Blue the 'edge' if I had to choose between them......although more expensive, they did less 'stopping' and their 'standard' tanks are those nice HP 120's for lots more bottom time.......on both trips we did 8 boat dives in less than 48 hrs.....(2 dives Fri afternoon/ 4 dives Sat/ 2 dives Sun morning).......

You'll know you're in for a treat when you roll of the boat for the 1st dive....look down, and see the vast vistas stretching out in all directions beneath you......200+ ft. vis is the norm....it's glorious......let me warn you now....you're gonna get hooked! :)

Karl

Drift diving is actually very easy and relaxing once you get used to working with the current instead of against it. You will end up hardly having to kick your fins since the current can do all the work for you. Keep an eye on your group because if a few folks stop to look at things you can easily keep drifting and get separated if you don't duck behind a coral head to slow down a bit. Keep an eye ahead of you in the direction of the current so the current does not brush you into things like coral or sponges. Use as little weight as you can without popping up to the surface on your safety stops.

Have a great time!

Plan 2-3 dives a day?
Bring a 3mm or 5mm full suit; Your will appreciate the warmth.
Also, the Dive shop at Occudential is OK; the Dive Shop in the Iberostar is EXC
You can take a taxi from any hotel to another hotel or dive shop for about 5$

planowarrior:
Plan 2-3 dives a day?
Bring a 3mm or 5mm full suit; Your will appreciate the warmth.
Also, the Dive shop at Occudential is OK; the Dive Shop in the Iberostar is EXC
You can take a taxi from any hotel to another hotel or dive shop for about 5$
Did you realize that the last previous entry in this thread was three years ago?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom