tips for DM stamina tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did mine in a 30 ft pool. My snorkel swim had 80 turns ! That had to add minutes to my time. I also used my scubapro twin-jets, and didn't feel I got much power on the surface. I swam all out the whole way. The treading water was the easiest.

James Goddard:
Not sure what you mean by "cooperates in the turns". According to the standards (for PADI anyway) the tired diver cannot help in any way:

There's a lot that the pushed diver can do to help or hinder, while not "helping". It does not include active participation.

You don't need to quote standards to me.

MechDiver:
There's a lot that the pushed diver can do to help or hinder, while not "helping". It does not include active participation.

Well then, perhaps instead of being snippy, you can elaborate for our original poster, how an inert diver can help without helping?

James Goddard:
I would agree that this method is best if you are in open water, however if, like me, you have to do it in a pool you'll have no choice but to use the tank drag. It's just too inefficent to try to turn the diver this way.

I can easily turn the tired diver around. You use your hands on the knees to start the turn and kick to rotate the diver, straightening out as you approach the desired heading. Ideally, the test should be done in a pool without lane lines, and allow you to do the perimeter (only 90 degree turns) since there are seldom turns doing it for real.

MechDiver:

It's a TIRED diver tow, not UNCONSCIOUS. They're not aloud to ASSIST i.e. with propulsion, but they can cooperate - as in assuming a prone position. The only help I need in turning them is for them to lie still and not try to look around.

James Goddard:
Well then, perhaps instead of being snippy, you can elaborate for our original poster, how an inert diver can help without helping?

That's why this board is a PITA Goddard. Nobody can take anything at face value and just say "okay, thanks". You just have to have somebody analyze something until its a mass of useless algae bloom that just muddies up the viz.

You're the expert, apparently, you figure it out.

MechDiver:
That's why this board is a PITA Goddard. Nobody can take anything at face value and just say "okay, thanks". You just have to have somebody analyze something until its a mass of useless algae bloom that just muddies up the viz.

You're the expert, apparently, you figure it out.
I'll take that as an I can't figure out how to type my way out of the hole I just dug.

James Goddard:
I'll take that as an I can't figure out how to type my way out of the hole I just dug.
It's not just him, I myself cannot visualize how the "tired" diver can "help" without helping, either.....

My advice (if it's not to late) Score really high on everything else, that's what I did. The 400yd and Buddy exchange are the last things I need to do. I had surgery on my rotator cuff so good swim time isn't on my side. As for the tired diver tow, push those muscles in your legs as hard as you can, I used the tank hold and put the diver in between my legs (to avoid constant tangling with his legs) and asked him to streamline the best he could, I ended up with a 4, so I guess it worked (for me anyways) As for the tread goes, relax, let your breathing take over. If you start to tilt to one side, go with it (so long as your head stays above water) the 2-minute with no hands, just put them up just above your ears (I have a little um "fluff", so it's probably easier for me). I'm sure your going to do just fine, we did everything in the same night, gwad, did my legs feel like they were going to fall off, but I was glad to get it out of the way.

Good luck, if you figure out anything helpful with the 400yd let me know, I do it next Thursday.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom