Tips on diving the Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he's saying (In an odd sort of way... ) that they use "AL 80 Neutral bouyancy tanks" for Air fills and regular tanks for Nitrox fills. When he switched from the neutral boyant tank to the regular tank is what caused his weighting problem...

Mike... I think (at least I hope) your right... I was sitting there scrathing my head trying to figure out what the heck this guy was saying :) Thanks for the clarification. But Pickens... that is still a bad suggestion to add weight.

Violeta:
I'm planning a trip to the Spiegel Grove next weekend. Any tips would be appreciated... best shop to use, rent a boat instead, nitrox or not, etc.? It will be my first time there. I'll also be diving with my bro and sis-in-law. Thanks for any help!!
Vio

Small world,
I'm diving the SG the weekend after next with my sis and bro-in-law!

We're using Horizon Divers, they've used them in the past and were very happy. I have no experience in the keys at all so I'll reserve judgement till after the trip.

I'll 2nd the suggestion to use Jeff Jarvis www.hmsminnow.com. I have been diving with Jeff for about 3 years now when I am in the Keys. One of the advantages of diving with Jeff is that he leaves earlier than the other dive boats. This allows you to get there and in the water before the rest of Key Largo gets there!.....it is usually a parking lot at the grove certain times of the year.

All areas of the wreck are great to dive (and it takes several dives to see it all) but I personally prefer the wheelhouse area. Part of this is that you can get some relief from the current if needed.....plus, I find this to be a very cool section of the wreck to dive. Many times you will find a very large barracuda inside the wheelhouse just hanging out....lots of other life as well. Some great macro stuff on the handrails also.

Good luck and have fun!

Talon:
Mike... I think (at least I hope) your right... I was sitting there scrathing my head trying to figure out what the heck this guy was saying :) Thanks for the clarification. But Pickens... that is still a bad suggestion to add weight.

Yes... the nitrox tanks were "regular" AL80's and no longer Neutral 80's... that makes a big difference in your bouyancy... enough so that you can have problems getting down.

Combine that with the fact of current, excitement, etc. and you can definitely have issues getting down if you are not properly weighted. So to be properly weighted, I would have needed to add a few pounds of weight to compensate for the difference between the "regular" AL80 we were using for the nitrox as well as other factors.

So perhaps I should have said...

"Make sure you are properly weighted."

Sorry if I was unclear. Just didn't want to see a decent dive ruined or otherwise not as enjoyable because of being too light as I was on my recent Spiegel Grove dive. Had I even an inkling that the tanks they switch tank types, I would have known to add more weight. As it was, I was 2 to 4 pounds light and difficulty getting down. Used the mooring line to pull myself down hand-over-hand until about 30+ ft. Not particularly enjoyable compared with a nice and easy descent.

Dave

we dove with Dive Inn out of Key Largo on their 28 foot six pack. there was only five of us on the boat and we decided to do two dives in the morning with an one hour SI. It was great. they dive what the divers want to dive, period. i like the ability to pick your own dives when you want to dive. they only charged $50 per two tank dive. we used air, but I would advise using Nitrox. on our second dive we got down to 2 minutes of our NDL and headed up. but, the SG has allot to see at different depths so you can adjust your depth accordingly. the currents can be an issue. our second dive had pretty strong currents. we dropped down on one end and they picked us up on the other end to minimize fighting the currents. they did the same thing when we dove the duane the following day.

Violeta:
I'm planning a trip to the Spiegel Grove next weekend. Any tips would be appreciated... best shop to use, rent a boat instead, nitrox or not, etc.? It will be my first time there. I'll also be diving with my bro and sis-in-law. Thanks for any help!!
Vio

Don't want to alarm you but there was a huge discussion on this board regarding the accident that occurred diving the Spiegel Grove (here's the link):

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=95804&highlight=Spiegel+Grove

The discussions got pretty heated but what I got out of it was:

1. The dive is more than "advanced" and you must have the appropriate skill level for it particularly in dealing with current issues.
2. Make sure you pick the right operator and ASK him about emergency procedures as well as be very aware that diver operators have specific responsibilities as do you.
3. Listen to the pre-dive instructions verrry carefully.

Good luck and have a safe dive.

I did two dives on the grove this weekend. This was my first time on it since it was righted, and it is a completely different dive now. The current was very strong down on the wreck even though at the surface it seemed to be minimal. Make sure if there is a current you stay close to the deck, incase you start to get swept away. While we were out there, 2 of the people from our boat and 2 from another didn't make it up a line and had to be picked up a distance from the wreck. Although it isn't neccesary, it would be nice if you had a bag to shoot to the surface, but if you haven't practiced it before, then this wouldn't be the dive to test it out.

If you are going on air I would strongly suggest doing the second dive at a shallower reef. I dove 32% in LP 85's with Divers City and if it wasn't for the constant struggle with the current it would have been easy to pass the ndl even on the first dive.

I also wrote the locations and the depths of all the mooring lines on my slate incase I wasn't able to make it to the specified line for ascent. This wreck is huge and can be confusing, plan you dive with your buddy and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom