Tips on Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BBP:
Just wondering what you folks think is customary.

I have yet to do a boatdive, but I have to ask....

Is it really customary to tip? And, if so, why?

Tipping waitresses became big practice due to their low wages, etc. Now you're essentially suggesting we tip all services. Should I tip my mechanic, the airline pilot, my bus driver, etc????

Just wondering where you guys are coming from.

- ChillyWaters

mccabejc:
Tip nothing. It's not your fault that the employer doesn't pay them enough, and you shouldn't have to compensate them for what their employer is unwilling to do. If they expect a tip, that's their problem, not yours. Tell them "Well, I expect a refund because I was a good customer" and see what they say.

If they do a good job, assume it's because they were raised by parents who instilled in them a sense of pride in doing a good job. And in that case, they would probably be offended at the thought of a tip.
Is that you Dad????

ChillyWaters:
I have yet to do a boatdive, but I have to ask....

Is it really customary to tip? And, if so, why?

Tipping waitresses became big practice due to their low wages, etc. Now you're essentially suggesting we tip all services. Should I tip my mechanic, the airline pilot, my bus driver, etc????

Just wondering where you guys are coming from.

- ChillyWaters
Well, I consider it customary if the tips are the driving portion of their pay. Waiters/waitresses are the perfect example. I know in some restuarants they are paid below minimum wage since tips are their driving motivation. Mechanics, airline pilots, bus drivers are paid from their fees/fare.

On most dive operations, I will tip the dive masters since they work for the tips. The captain, in my opinion, is making money from the fee that everyone paid for the dives. I start at $5 per tank and adjust from there for their performance and assistance.

mccabejc:
If they do a good job, assume it's because they were raised by parents who instilled in them a sense of pride in doing a good job. And in that case, they would probably be offended at the thought of a tip.
Yeah, right.

vladimir:
Yeah, right.

Yeah, you're right. I noticed you're from NY. I should have put a disclaimer in there about not applying within the limits of New York City. :D

I grew up on Long Island, and I know that nothing relating to the sanity of tipping applies in NY.

The rule of thumb that I heard is $5/tank/person, adjusted for good/bad service. I also make a point to give it to the divemaster- I figure I already paid the boat owner. I wonder if they split it afterwards?

Maybe we'll get some working DM's to share what they typically get/expect - share information, not tips...

Queen:
Is that you Dad????
:rofl:

As for me, I tip the DM because the captain points out that the DM works for tips. The captain has never sought a tip on the boat that I generally go out on. I figure he is paid by the owner. $5/tank is my usual. I'll up it if the service is exceptional, or more than normal work was done.

DBailey:
On most dive operations, I will tip the dive masters since they work for the tips. The captain, in my opinion, is making money from the fee that everyone paid for the dives. I start at $5 per tank and adjust from there for their performance and assistance.

Same here.....but only if he/she actually does something. I have been on boats where they run circles around you making sure you got everything, help with all the gear, serve refreshments.....in that case I don not mind tipping $5-$10 ....but I have also been on boats where the divemaster is the guys who yells at you, and rushes you in/out of the water, makes you feel like you are doing him a favour for being there and then holds his hand out for a tip....he/she gets squat.

But the funny thing is, that up here in Canada, DM's or captains barely get anything.....most divers up here look at the service as paid once the $$ has been paid for the charter and tips are very rarely passed out.

Ideally it comes down to your feelings and generosity. In my opinion, tips should never be expected but rather earned!

mccabejc:
Tip nothing. It's not your fault that the employer doesn't pay them enough, and you shouldn't have to compensate them for what their employer is unwilling to do. If they expect a tip, that's their problem, not yours. Tell them "Well, I expect a refund because I was a good customer" and see what they say.

You CHEAP ******
Sorry but there is people here that the tips is the only thing we get paid off. That is the way it works around here. I love scuba diving and thats the only way i can dive and live! son maybe you can tip the next time!

Sorry if that sound a little bit rude! It is no my intension i just wat to make a point in that the tips are really important to some people here. and if you get an excelent service you should tip just what you think is right!
Never ment to sound rude!

Back
Top Bottom