Titan Vs. Calypso Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a serious myth has been advanced with regard to the "environmental" sealing of a regulator to prevent regulator freezing. In my opinion, it does no such thing. I have NEVER seen ONE validated study that indicates that envornomental seal on ANY scuba regulator ambient air chamber prevents freezing. Freezing (and the run-away free flow that ensues) is the result of the expansion of the air. Regardless of how much you seal a regulator, that does not change the expansion of air and the physic that occur as a result.

It is interesting to note that Dive Rite no longer refers to any of their new sealed regulators as ICE. They have realized that sealing IS NOT the part of the design that makes the regulator less prone to freezing. Anyway, my opinion.

Phil Ellis

They're both cheap! $27, and not a penny more! :D

I think there is a coldwater version of the Titan. I just got a Titan LX and love it--other than the fact the second is cheap plastic but then so are all of the other much more expensive regulators that breath and perform no better. The Titan is a proven first stage that goes back to the 60, can be serviced everywhere--simple, rugged, high perfomrance and super reliable.

Hey, Aqua Lung, howabout a Titan-anium? Make the seconds out of titanium---just an idea--I don't charge for them.

N

Thought you didn't dive single hose regs???? :D:D

Have you "sold out"??? :wink::wink:

What has the world come to?? The "king" of vintage double hose is now endorsing 21st century equipment???

:):) :11doh::11doh:

Thought you didn't dive single hose regs???? :D:D

Have you "sold out"??? :wink::wink:

What has the world come to?? The "king" of vintage double hose is now endorsing 21st century equipment???

:):) :11doh::11doh:

Of course not, I buy the single hose junk to use as throw away. Use them a few times and junk them.That is why I am trying to buy this one for 25 dollars--hey--I toss in my autograph--lol and go 30 bucks. Kinda like a snow car, you know it is going to be trashed so who cares. :D

N

Of course not, I buy the single hose junk to use as throw away. Use them a few times and junk them.That is why I am trying to buy this one for 25 dollars--hey--I toss in my autograph--lol and go 30 bucks. Kinda like a snow car, you know it is going to be trashed so who cares. :D

N

OK - tell the truth - you just want the 2nd stage for use on your PRAM ..... :D And the 1st stage makes a great doorstop!!

I guess I could accept that, since YOU would never use it - just donate it to an OOA buddy - and if it didn't work - no way he could pry the double hose from your mouth and use it (unless he could get behind you and pull it backwards over your head ... hmmmm). :no Ooops - just gave away the secret.

I think a serious myth has been advanced with regard to the "environmental" sealing of a regulator to prevent regulator freezing. In my opinion, it does no such thing. I have NEVER seen ONE validated study that indicates that envornomental seal on ANY scuba regulator ambient air chamber prevents freezing. Freezing (and the run-away free flow that ensues) is the result of the expansion of the air. Regardless of how much you seal a regulator, that does not change the expansion of air and the physic that occur as a result.

It is interesting to note that Dive Rite no longer refers to any of their new sealed regulators as ICE. They have realized that sealing IS NOT the part of the design that makes the regulator less prone to freezing. Anyway, my opinion.

Phil Ellis

The adiabatic cooling due to the gas expansion will occur whether the first stage is environmentally sealed or not, but if the water can not reach the moving parts it can not freeze on the moving parts. You can have water freezing around the outside of the regulator but that will not affect any moving parts.

The air inside the regulator is basically dry. I can’t recall the dew point temperature specified for compressed breathing air, but it is much lower than any diver will be working in. Therefore, no moisture is available in the air passages to freeze.

The environmental chamber prevents water from reaching moving parts and freezing on it.

The perfect cold water regulator is a double hose since both the first and second stages are environmentally sealed. Moisture should never reach any moving parts; therefore a properly functioning double hose should never freeze or free-flow. That is why Royal Aqua Master’s were used in Antarctica until the early 1990’s. Almost 20 years after the last one was built.

OK - tell the truth - you just want the 2nd stage for use on your PRAM ..... :D And the 1st stage makes a great doorstop!!

I guess I could accept that, since YOU would never use it - just donate it to an OOA buddy - and if it didn't work - no way he could pry the double hose from your mouth and use it (unless he could get behind you and pull it backwards over your head ... hmmmm). :no Ooops - just gave away the secret.

Your partly right:rofl3:, I would use the second stage as an octapus and then I would take the first stage apart and get all of the innards out of it and put them in my Royal Aqua Master and the yoke and yoke knob are nice. The rest I would use to shoot at.:lotsalove:

N

Your partly right:rofl3:, I would use the second stage as an octapus and then I would take the first stage apart and get all of the innards out of it and put them in my Royal Aqua Master and the yoke and yoke knob are nice. The rest I would use to shoot at.:lotsalove:

N

You guys are being silly now. The Titan first stage is a great reliable first stage. I use one for inflating tires and general clean air blow gun utility :wink: ...actually I use an old Conshelf for that...same thing. I do use a pressure relief valve, but it is such a reliable first stage that is only as a safety measure.

My wife regulator uses a Titan first stage (and a Scubapro D400 second) and I keep a Titan (actually a new Mistral) first stage with a Scubapro metal balanced adjustable in my safe a dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom