Titan Vs. Calypso Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are being silly now. The Titan first stage is a great reliable first stage. I use one for inflating tires and general clean air blow gun utility :wink: ...actually I use an old Conshelf for that...same thing. I do use a pressure relief valve, but it is such a reliable first stage that is only as a safety measure.

My wife regulator uses a Titan first stage (and a Scubapro D400 second) and I keep a Titan (actually a new Mistral) first stage with a Scubapro metal balanced adjustable in my safe a dive kit.

Luis

Sometimes its fun to be silly :wink:

Heck, at this time of the year golf has it's "silly season" - so why not Vintage Divers???

Besides I like N's idea of stripping the parts out of a Titan to use as spares for my PRAM. But the body is still good for a door stop.

I'm partial to Mares as my back-up gear - since that is what my wife dives (and I did) - just have not gotten her to try the PRAM - but if she does, I have a spare DA to have converted to a second one once Bryan gets the new nozzles in (got to plan ahead or I'd lose mine ... :D)

I use a Mares V-16 for tire inflation - bought the set to get the Proton Metal 2nd for her.

Happy Holidays to all
and
Dive Safely

Besides I like N's idea of stripping the parts out of a Titan to use as spares for my PRAM.

Yes I was just kidding too.
But on a serious note, IMHO, that is actually a bad idea. New internal parts are not that expensive. The expensive parts are the yoke, yoke screw, etc. (the yoke has to come from the Conshelf, not the Titan).

Let me know if you need help obtaining new Aqua Lung parts for your PRAM. They are readily available. There is no need to re-use used parts when new parts from Aqua Lung can be easily obtained.

I re-use parts that are hard to find and resurface DA Aqua Master seats if needed, but one of the intentions of the PRAM is to perform to new standards and to take advantage of parts that should be available for many years into the future. Re-using parts from other regulators kind of defeats that last design criteria.

Luis

I have no intention of using used parts for my PRAM - actually, I'll probably just let Bryan do the maintenance, when and if needed, on the internals. I have played with my extra DAs enough that I am comfortable taking them or my PRAM apart to replace diaphragms or duckbills and to adjust the IP or lever height - but it will probably be a long time before the internals need an overhaul. Since the PRAM and DAs are the only Aqua Lung regs I have, I would be unlikely to purchase any used current models (although I might be interested in adding an old Calypso for my octo on the PRAM - just to make it a little more "vintage").

I like to do the tuning on my regs and my wife's - just becuse I take the time and really fine tune them - but have not yet done anything more major than replacing seats on the 2nd stages (have not torn into a 1st stage yet - but as soon as I buy a "beater", I will). Actually, as soon as I get time this winter, I will probably disassemble one of my DAs, since Bryan said it was an "oddball" and probably only good for parts - so it will be good to use for learning on.

I do want to thank you for developing the Phoenix Nozzle - it has allowed me to dive a double hose, like the one I was originally trained on, again and not totally freak out my wife/dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom