Titan’s Roatan Connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Karl Stanley, Roatan’s sub guy:

IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5851.jpeg
IMG_5850.jpeg

I wouldn't get into anyone's submersible. Reading about early submarine accidents and recoveries, with a very occasional rescue, was one of the components of my interest in scuba. Not pretty, but inspiring.

Then there's the OG story around Trieste descending into the Marianas trench for the first time. At about 30,000 feet there was loud bang and the craft shook. I'm paraphrasing here - the crew, Jacques Piccard and Don Walsh decided if this was a fatal incident, they would have been dead before any discussion could occur. And continued the voyage to the bottom.
Upon their return to the surface and recovery of Trieste, it was found the outer layer of the window had cracked.

I contemplated a ride on his sub when I was in Roatan with my son about 17 or 18 years ago.

Sounded interesting, but not appropriate for us.
Trips to 300, 600, or 1000 ft

Unteathered, no other submersibles available for rescue, emergency procedure was to detach the lead ballast and cork, etc

He originally tried to operate the sub in the US but was prevented for various reasons.
He then tried Mexico and was also sent away.
He is in Honduras for a reason.

There was also a guy operating an experimental ultralight aircraft giving tourists rides.
Also looked like fun, but it was a cloth covered tube frame contraption with a prop.

Last I recall, it went down with a family aboard.
They were rescued by a dive boat and I think there was a thread about it.

There was also a guy operating an experimental ultralight aircraft giving tourists rides.
Also looked like fun, but it was a cloth covered tube frame contraption with a prop.
"cloth covered tube frame contraption with a prop"? So was my 1947 Aeronca. No electrical system: no radio and used an Armstrong engine starter (meaning you stood out front and used strong arms to flick the prop and hope you had the right mix of hand pumped prime and cracked throttle for a combustible mixture when the mag sparked...) Best kind of flying ever..... Grass field, no tower, nose wheel at the back end of the plane.... Hot? Crack open a window... Wave to the guy in his truck driving down the road...

1688251879107.png

"cloth covered tube frame contraption with a prop"? So was my 1947 Aeronca. No electrical system: no radio and used an Armstrong engine starter (meaning you stood out front and used strong arms to flick the prop and hope you had the right mix of hand pumped prime and cracked throttle for a combustible mixture when the mag sparked...) Best kind of flying ever..... Grass field, no tower, nose wheel at the back end of the plane.... Hot? Crack open a window... Wave to the guy in his truck driving down the road...

View attachment 790529

That looks like the space shuttle compared to the “ultra-light” in Roatan.

View attachment 790529

It was more like a 4 passenger version of something like this except with floats instead of wheels

1688272928039.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom