to become an PADI rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished the PADI Rescue Diver Course, and I chose to take CPR/First Aid from the Red Cross before taking the course. No problems with the PADI instructor, they simply photocopy your Red Cross cert card for the file.

I like PADI for dive instruction, but for my life support training, I chose to go with the people who teach physicians, paramedics, and firemen.

hlsooner:
I just finished the PADI Rescue Diver Course, and I chose to take CPR/First Aid from the Red Cross before taking the course. No problems with the PADI instructor, they simply photocopy your Red Cross cert card for the file.

I like PADI for dive instruction, but for my life support training, I chose to go with the people who teach physicians, paramedics, and firemen.
In fact, I would go so far as to suggest CPR/Pro Rescuer over a community CPR class esp. if it were for Rescue Diver requirements.

Thanks guys, but it seems to me that the PADI EFR course is more than the conventional CPR course (ie. St. John or Red Cross, and I'm leaning towards St. John right now because of it schedule of courses offered in HK). So, would PADI accept the CPR course by itself as a subsitute of EFR or do I also have to have a First Aid Cert., like some of you mentioned?

I just finished my Rescue class and had a simular problem. I already had my CPR cert. from my work. PADI accepted that (photo copy) but I still had to do the first aid class. I asked about doing the first aid from another agency but then you do not get the diving related frst aid. Interestingly there was also a Physician, a Nurse, a Physician Assistant, and myself (another health care professional) and we all had to do the same.

Good luck with the class. I really learned alot.

Something that no one has mentioned is the O2 class. When I did the rescue class, there was First Aid, CPR, AED, and O2. There was a fireman, an EMT and they both opted out of the medical training and I only sat in on the O2. If your trying to collect cards from PADI, the O2 can count as a specialty that goes towards...master diver (?) sorry not real up on PADIese...

David P:
Something that no one has mentioned is the O2 class. ... There was a fireman, an EMT and they both opted out of the medical training and I only sat in on the O2. If your trying to collect cards from PADI, the O2 can count as a specialty that goes towards...master diver (?) sorry not real up on PADIese...

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are O2 and EMT?

The O2 class is not a requirement for Rescue though.

As for what you need, you need both CPR and First Aid to get the EFR. Call your PADI instructor and ask them exactly what you need to show him.

N@rco$i$:
EMT - Emergencey medical technician

O2 - Oxygen

An O2 or Oxygen class??
May I ask what's it about?

Back
Top Bottom