To buy or not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarine

Reaction score
I found a place that has Tusa X-pert Zooms (split fins) on clearance for $88. Should I get em? I currently borrow all of my friends gear, from tanks to fins and he says I can use them as long as possible. However, Im not sure I will get a second chance at these fins going for $50 less than everyone else. I guess if anything I could resell on ebay.

Only advice I can give (I dont know the fins specifically) is that you should never buy gear based on price. Decide what you want, then look for the best value you can (not necessarily the lowest price). Most of us here have a basement full of "deals" that we dont use.

Good luck

Wetvet

I find having my own gear was the best choice I made. What if your friend needs the gear on the same day you do? Or you move away? Or they do? If these are the fins you like and it's a good deal - Go for it

ScubaMarine:
I found a place that has Tusa X-pert Zooms (split fins) on clearance for $88. Should I get em? I currently borrow all of my friends gear, from tanks to fins and he says I can use them as long as possible. However, Im not sure I will get a second chance at these fins going for $50 less than everyone else. I guess if anything I could resell on ebay.

I bought mine at "Unrealfind.com" for the everyday low price of $89.99 about six months ago. They have them in both yellow/black and blue/black. I am very happy with them although my wife now thinks she should have some too. Also, I agree with the others, if you like them buy them. Then, go diving WITH your friend.

Thank you justleesa for the help with links...

ScubaMarine:
...I guess if anything I could resell on ebay.

Yeah the demand for split fins is really picking up here lately :eyebrow:

Considering your post on your wreck intentions I would skip the splits.

IMHO, and others will swear they are useless, split fins are a great second pair of fins to own for those dives when you're covering a long horizontal distance (esp. surface swims) or chasing game if your into the hunting thing. But if you want fins that will give you the most control and delicate maneuvering ability in close quarters (ie in and around a wreck where you drop straight down a line and ascend the same way) solid fins are a better bet. Turtles and Jetfins are popular, watch the boards you can get them for ~ $50. YMMV

Buy all of your own equipment and do not go cheap. Why? Because having your own gear that fits and that works for you is so much better than banged up used rental gear or odd gear from lowest price deals. This is especially true for regs and bc...have your own and take care of your own.

Your dive gear is NOT like other equipment that collects dust in some attic. If you like diving you will take care of your own gear...saves you money in the long run.

Just my 02

I love my TUSA X-Pert Zooms. They really cut down on cramping and leg strain. I think if anything, having your own fins are a must! Having comfortable fins and boots that are reliable and wont give you blisters make diving so much more enjoyable.

I have the Tusa X-Pert Zoom Fins also and I dont really like these much and thinking about getting rid of them, I have the size L-XL as I am Size 12 Boot and find the pocket for the x-pert zoom fins isnt very wide for rockboots and other drysuit boots, also the fins are extremely long, they dont fit in any fin pockets in your dive bag and they can get quite annoying in tight spaces as "CD" said. I am looking at getting rid of mine, have had mine for only about 20 dives and looking at going for the Scubapro Twin jets or jetfins as they are much much smaller and wider foot pocket.

Well that is my 0.02 cents anyway... :)

I just can't do the split fins....I hate the floppy feeling and lack of control for maneuvering. My fins are over 10 years old and I wouldn't mind changing for some shorter blades, but it's tough to give up something that works. :wink:

I don't want to get into a split fin, no split fin debate. I love my splits. Get what works for you and if you like the price, all the better. It seems that once you own your own gear, you adjust/adapt to it and are likely to enjoy it. Buy the fins if you like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom