To Canon UW housing owners.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings.

It seems to me that the main O-ring on the UW case door would last longer and do a better job sealing if it were NOT allowed to stay installed on the housing while being stored / not in use.

Can anyone tell me if this is recommended by Canon or any other authority or not? I don't remember reading in the housing manual one way or another.

I say this because I think if you leave it installed and the housing shut and latched, over time, the o-ring will become deformed into the shape forced by the housing. The pressure the o-ring exerts on the housing mating surface becomes reduced thereby reducing its ability to seal against the incomming water pressure. When I was using my Sea & Sea MX10 I always removed the o-rings after a dive trip, coated them lightly with o-ring grease, and stored them in a seperate container. I never had a sealing problem with my MX10 in the years I used it.

Do any of you remove the o-ring when storing the housing?

Thx for your replies.

I remove mine too, but I recall the manual stating that you were not supposed to store it closed.

alcina:
I remove mine if I know I won't be using it for a while. I usually don't remove it if we are talking a matter or two or three weeks.

I keep mine long-term in a little sealed plastic bag which has a bit of silcone grease in it. If I know the housing will be used every couple of weeks I keep the o-ring in place and just shuffle it around every time it gets cleaned.

And yes the manual specifically states the housing must not be stored closed with the o-ring in place.

this is a good point.

may also be a good idea to apply some silicone grease and store it in a plastic bag.
at a min, open the case so there isn't pressure on the O-ring when not in use.

It should outlast the usefulness of the camera with proper care.

SeaFlea:
Greetings.

It seems to me that the main O-ring on the UW case door would last longer and do a better job sealing if it were NOT allowed to stay installed on the housing while being stored / not in use.

Can anyone tell me if this is recommended by Canon or any other authority or not? I don't remember reading in the housing manual one way or another.

I say this because I think if you leave it installed and the housing shut and latched, over time, the o-ring will become deformed into the shape forced by the housing. The pressure the o-ring exerts on the housing mating surface becomes reduced thereby reducing its ability to seal against the incomming water pressure. When I was using my Sea & Sea MX10 I always removed the o-rings after a dive trip, coated them lightly with o-ring grease, and stored them in a seperate container. I never had a sealing problem with my MX10 in the years I used it.

Do any of you remove the o-ring when storing the housing?

Thx for your replies.

I remove the O-ring and store it inside the housing itself when the housing is in storage for more than a few weeks, and even do this when I travel. This allows me to keep the housing closed, but not sealed, when travelling, and thus I worry less about dust getting into the housing, while not needing to worry about the pressure changes from flying with a sealed housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom