To go to doubles or not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take the kit I need for the job. I only need doubles for overhead dives.

I'd rather do a tank change than lug doubles around when they're not a required for the job.

Unless you want doubles to spend a lot of time shallow in warm water, cylinders are just the beginning. A lot changes when switching to doubles results in deeper and longer. For example; training in decompression and gas mixtures, dry suits, more $ophisticated computers, additional regulators, a different BC and back pack, stage bottles, extra sets of doubles, and maybe giving up shore diving because all this gear is pretty heavy. A $600 set of doubles can turn into $5000+ pretty fast.

I am not trying to discourage you, but you need to consider the big picture. I would probably go with doubles because I like wrecks, but that money can also buy tropical dive vacations or a small boat — all of which are holes in the water to pour money in.

I do not think the OP is talking about vintage diving :) It is not a problem with BP/W

Actually for some types of diving where your exposure suit is buoyant and steel tanks they weight pretty much the same as the single tank setup and a pony bottle

Yeah, I know the OP was talking about the modern, all-the-bells-and-whistles type of diving. The point I was trying to make is that doubles definitely feel and act different.

Pony bottle? I wouldn't know anything about that. I've never used one.

Unless you want doubles to spend a lot of time shallow in warm water, cylinders are just the beginning. A lot changes when switching to doubles results in deeper and longer. For example; training in decompression and gas mixtures, dry suits, more $ophisticated computers, additional regulators, a different BC and back pack, stage bottles, extra sets of doubles, and maybe giving up shore diving because all this gear is pretty heavy. A $600 set of doubles can turn into $5000+ pretty fast.

I am not trying to discourage you, but you need to consider the big picture. I would probably go with doubles because I like wrecks, but that money can also buy tropical dive vacations or a small boat — all of which are holes in the water to pour money in.

Well im in this for the long haul, and luckily i began with the end in mind. So if i decided to do more advance decompression training I already have much of the gear. I am not interested in that right not though. I am no where near the experience level for that. I am just interested in learning the right way and making sure I dont miss anything in the process.

I want to be a skilled diver for all environments.

I started working with doubles a couple of years back, but not until recently have I realized just how head-heavy I've been in them. I'm getting that fixed, but I spent a lot of time fighting with them and not understanding the issue that needed fixing.

I am just interested in learning the right way and making sure I dont miss anything in the process.

I would then suggest for you to get with a reputable Technical Diving Instructor. They will teach you the right way & help you get into the proper configuration needed for the type of diving you want to do.

Only until you have exhausted shallower dives in your area would I personally gravitate to doubles. They basically only exist to dive deeper which you should not be doing now anyway. They are far less streamline than single rigs, etc., etc.

I would progress by taking fundies in a single rig this year then next summer work on doubles tech pass. Just my 2 psi worth..

+1

...I see so many people who dive doubles because of the image, not because they need the gas. The divers who do this have all kinds of justifications, too, that ring hollow when you really dig at them. <shrugs> You might consider this part of your first real technical training: a realistic assessment of your equipment needs.

All the best, James

I would say get some more time under water before transitioning to doubles. I use my doubles when I need to, otherwise I am happy diving a single. And if needed on say a deeper dive with a single I will just sling a bottle. It is not any big deal even with a camera.

+1

...I see so many people who dive doubles because of the image, not because they need the gas. The divers who do this have all kinds of justifications, too, that ring hollow when you really dig at them. <shrugs> You might consider this part of your first real technical training: a realistic assessment of your equipment needs.

This is probably true. In fact, I am one of those divers that started diving doubles "because they look cool." I have no logical, defensable reason to dive doubles. I just wanted them. In the relatively shallow, freshwater environments where I usually dive, they really aren't necessary. But all reason and logic go completely out the window when I see my twin 72s sitting there, mated to my DA Aqua-Master and ready to dive. Does it make any real sense? No, but it's fun!

I started in doubles at maybe 75 dives, at the time, I was gravitating towards tech.
I recently broke my last pair down, I just don't do dives that need them, they're heavy and inconvenient if your'e not doing dives that use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom