to hood or not to hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As was mentioned earlier, no gloves allowed in COZ (diving in the marine park).
I had brought my 2mm gloves for use outside the apark, but the water is so warm there that I didn't use them.
I always wear a hood, here in CA a 5mm and a lycra 0.5mm in COZ. Keeps the hair out of the way and reduces the water flushing in and out of my ears.

People have vastly different tolerances for cold, but if your doing four dives a day of the longish variety you may get cold toward the end of the week. I dove a 3mm full all week doing four dives daily, all over an hour but no more 1 hour 20 minutes, and I was getting cold by dive 3 after the third day (Jan trip). Our DM was likely under 120lbs (small guy) and he was wearing a farmers john 3mm, so 6mm on his core. I was using a beanie on the afternoon dives by day 3. Bring whatever exposure protection you have. I think a 5mm is good for a week of diving 72F-80F. You could likely get by with a 3mm, but the 5mm should be fine.

We used Blue XT Sea and she provided nice insulated rain gear and good blankets. A couple days it rained and we were coming back after dark every day. I would have an extra towel and a poncho if your dive op does not supply them. You can get a poncho cheap at Chedraui (like a small WallMart at the south end of San Miguel and at the beginning of the Southern Hotel Zone). You will want to pick up supplies there as well (booze, donuts, cereal, milk, snacks, whatever).

I was recently diving a 83f water in a 5/4/3 mil suit and was cold after an hour on the first dive. I was using a hood for the rest of the dives. If you do not participate in "horse races" and just hover over the coral enjoying the marine life the cold comes very quickly.

I was recently diving a 83f water in a 5/4/3 mil suit and was cold after an hour on the first dive. I was using a hood for the rest of the dives. If you do not participate in "horse races" and just hover over the coral enjoying the marine life the cold comes very quickly.

It's really more a matter of personal tolerances than movement. I don't "horse race". But in that same 83F water, I'd be diving a lycra dive skin, and I would not be cold. The only time I have ever worn a hood is a 3mm hood with a 3/2 full while diving the Cenotes.

It's really more a matter of personal tolerances than movement. I don't "horse race". But in that same 83F water, I'd be diving a lycra dive skin, and I would not be cold. The only time I have ever worn a hood is a 3mm hood with a 3/2 full while diving the Cenotes.
Truly. If my body is warm from sufficient neoprene coverage, my head doesn't get cold. That's entirely personal. I was comfortable diving Wolf and Darwin Islands in the Galapagos, 18 dives over 6 days, water temp 72-74, wearing a 5mm hyperstretch FJ and no hood. That's hardly "horse race" diving since most of the dive you're hanging onto reef with the current washing over you, not moving at all. I'll easily do hood-free summer dives in Catalina when surface temps are near 70, but bottom temps closer to 60, though we do tend to move more on those dives.

I get cold easily so I definately would take a hood. There is nothing worse than being cold underwater all the time. BTW, at 22C or below I'd go dry :wink:

Back
Top Bottom