To log pool "dives" or not to log...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm almost positive that one of the cert agencies offers a full "sink" course, if you plan on keeping this up. You also may want to make sure you are using a big enough sink so that you can have a buddy!

kent_1848:
I'm almost positive that one of the cert agencies offers a full "sink" course, if you plan on keeping this up. You also may want to make sure you are using a big enough sink so that you can have a buddy!

It's OK to sink dive solo as long as your regularly practice your Controlled Emergency Plug Removal procedures.

As far as numbers related to the experience needed to earn a master scuba diver, divemaster, etc. rating, I wouldn't count them. As far as the log being used by the diver for its usual intended purpose (becoming a better diver), absolutely log any information that is new knowledge.

As far as sink certification, the sink should probably resemble sinks the diver is likely to encounter in the future so the sink certification doesn't encourage the diver to "sink dive" beyond their experience level. :)

we had a customer on a liveaboard that declared over 10,000 dives on the paperwork. said customer was also an intructor. was having problems with some minor items of kit - due to the saltwater was the reason apparently ! was asked if most of their diving was in lakes - nope was the reply.....

after a few days discussion during surface intervals etc it turned out that the inst logged pool dives, ie if they were in the pool 3 times on one night it went down as 3 dives. been an inst for 10 years diving for 15 in total and logged 10k dives,

do the math :)

K9trnr:
As far as sink certification, the sink should probably resemble sinks the diver is likely to encounter in the future so the sink certification doesn't encourage the diver to "sink dive" beyond their experience level. :)

Well, the NDL for a "deep" 10" sink is 59 years. My agency only trains in the 10" sink, so if you show me a Sink Training card from PATTY, then I have to assume that you were trained in the "deep" sink as well.

smartecosse:
we had a customer on a liveaboard that declared over 10,000 dives on the paperwork. said customer was also an intructor. was having problems with some minor items of kit - due to the saltwater was the reason apparently ! was asked if most of their diving was in lakes - nope was the reply.....

after a few days discussion during surface intervals etc it turned out that the inst logged pool dives, ie if they were in the pool 3 times on one night it went down as 3 dives. been an inst for 10 years diving for 15 in total and logged 10k dives,

do the math :)

HAHA! He should know better as an instructor!

He would have to dive a couple of dives everyday for the last 15 years in order to get to 10K

Most of the divemasters around here average 600 to 800 dives per year, but that's diving a couple of tanks everyday...not to mention the days we do 4 to 5 dives a day. I personally don't dive as much anymore (4 to 8 dives a week) and average about half of what the typical DM does here.

I don't log pool dives. However, looking back I do wish I had kept track of my time underwater. I like Tom Smedley's suggestion of keeping a separate logbook. I agree that pool dives can't and shouldn't be used to count towards certification requirements but I think any time underwater can be valuable and I wish I had kept better track of that.

If doing a “real” dive isn't an option, I'd rather spend an hour or so in a pool than not getting wet at all. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom