To log pool "dives" or not to log...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vox

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do you log your pool "dives" when checking new gear or tweaking setup?

Pool dives are not dives. They are play time. Can certainly be valuable for testing things out, but definitely not dives.

theskull

It all depends.
Why do you log your dives? ( to keep track of info that may be usefull in the future?)
Did you learn anything valuable that you would want to keep in your log?
If it was just to add to your numbers I would say no but if there was something worth putting in there,,, sure why not.

Pool dives may not be real dives but they are often more productive and I wold argue may make you a better diver than a regular dive. If you go in a pool and just drill bouyancy and skills, such as valve drills, s drills bla bla. Thats gonna make a big difference.

I would suggest keeping a separate log for your pool activities. Your log book is your personal journal and you can log anything that you like. But only open water dives count toward things such as minimum dives for recognition or instructor rating etc.

I log anything that sticks deep in my memory as a cool experience such as the chamber at F.G. Hall laboratory. If I did a pool dive with - say - Jessica Alba I would probably log that too.

lakewinni:
If you go in a pool and just drill bouyancy and skills, such as valve drills, s drills bla bla. Thats gonna make a big difference.

Ayup...that's exactly what I do.

Hover, Mask on/off, BCD on/off, pivot, etc.

Question: Valve drill and "s" drill?? Can you give me a quick description of each of these?

If you are trying different weights, equipment configurations, calculating your SAC, or learning new skills that you may need reference in the future then it may be worthwhile to log.

vox:
Ayup...that's exactly what I do.

Hover, Mask on/off, BCD on/off, pivot, etc.

Question: Valve drill and "s" drill?? Can you give me a quick description of each of these?

My pool dives are the hardest dives I do. Doing skills neutral in 6-10ft of water is a BEAR! But I don't log them. This is diametrically opposed to how I felt when I first started dviing again, and asked the same question on this forum.

valve drill is where you practice turning off and on, your tank underwater.

S-Drill is short for safety drill, and it's where you practice giving air to an OOA diver. If possible, try to practice both of these in midwater since that is where you're gonna have to do them for real.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom