to wash or not to wash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jazzcat24

Reaction score
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the material of the suit to wash a new, never worn suit before you hit the salt water in it? I plan on taking only Woolite for other washing on the cruise & had not packed salt water wash for the suits, yet. Should I? Was just going to wash them out well in the tub each night. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have found that just rinsing my suit out after diving in salt water works just fine. Mine has been everywhere and is holding up just fine. Hope that you havea great trip!

good question!
i bought my first wet suit and i'm wondering if someone can suggest, in general, what kind of care is needed to keep it in good shape? is rinsing it enough?

I rinse after each dive and wash it in wetsuit shampoo when I return home with a soak in Sink the Stink if necessary. Your LDS should carry wetsuit shampoo & Sink the Stink and if they don't, they can get it for you from Trident or Global.

I've found that on dive trips, it isn't practicable to thoroughly wash the suit after each dive.
The usual routine is to rinse equipment in a communal tub of fresh water and leave in the dry room/storage of the diveshop or the divelodge until the next dive.
After coming home, it's hot water and Woolite.
My suit's still in good condition.

I don't think there is anything you can use to help prolong the use of your wetsuit first time out. I noticed in your post you mentioned a cruise...... We have taken several cruises and dive on all of them. After each dive day we find the outdoor showers on the ship ( usually be the pool areas) and rinse off our gear there. We lay it out on chaise lounge chairs and have a coke while it drys out. It doesn't get completely dry but good enough for us. Then we hang it in the bathroom. Here lately we have been getting balcony staterooms and this is great for hanging out the gear. It's not in the sun and it gets dry and most importantly is doesn't smell up the whole room. Oh yeah about the smell, don't pee in the wetsuit or get some Sink n Stink. There is also some stuff called Salt Exterminator or Elimanator that works great also.

The following is a edited version of a piece that appeared in my "Ask RSD" column in the Oct '99 of "Rodale's Scuba Diving:"

"How do I clean a smelly wetsuit?

This periodic task contributes much to the comfort of the diver and his companions. There are a number of ways of accomplishing this, but none should be attempted until insuring that they are consistent with the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions.

As well as regular cleaning/deodorizing, some preventative measures will help keep odors down. These include limiting the “warming” of your suit, removal after each dive to avoid perspiration, and rinsing it well in warm water and hanging it to dry after each day of diving.

Cleaning/deodorizing methods include: (1) Washing in Woolite, “Odor Be Gone,” or “Sink The Stink,” the latter two being available through many dive shops. The suit should be soaked in one of these for at least several hours and preferably overnight. While not necessary, you can then either agitate by hand or place in a front loading washing machine with at least a “gentle” and preferably a “hand wash” setting. A top loader set at “normal” could rip stitching, especially in suits made of neoprene or similar substances. Alternately, the suit can be lathered by hand using baby shampoo, followed by thorough rinsing; (2) For heavy odor, a small amount of liquid fabric softener or vinegar can be added to the rinse; (3) After the suit is clean but still moist, mist it completely with “Febreeze,” available at many grocery stores (this one really helps); and (4) Dry the suit by hanging it outside until dry, avoiding direct sunlight. If you have a drying space in your basement or the like, simply hang it there. The suit should be placed on a wide shouldered hanger and stored in a place which is cool, out of direct sunlight and well ventilated."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

PS: There is no advantage to washing a new wetsuit before wearing, and Woolite will serve just fine.

Great tips, folks. The skin is in the bucket in Woolite as I type. I bought the skin used & the people smoked & even after ~5 washer washings w/ Tide on gentle in cold water, you could still smell the smoke in it. I am going to soak it overnight, which may be overkill, but I hate that musty smoke smell. I had even used Miramax, an enzyme odor killer on it & that brought the smoke smell back! Yuck!
I got my new shorty yesterday & am now set for the cruise! I posted a reply to my other thread about 'which sizes run larger' if anyone needs input on what fits pear shaped ladies.
Thanks for help. I have packed a bottle of Woolite & Fabreeze as a result of you all's help! Thanks again.

I find that hot water combined with ordinary shampoo is usually enough to get my wetsuit clean. If I have to pack the suit before it is completely dry and it gets real bad, I use vinegar and shampoo when I get home.

Taking the suit in the shower with you a couple of times durig a multi day dive trip helps to keep it fresh. It is the hot water that really gets the salt out of it. Not scalding hot, just hot bath hot.

white distilled vinegar, that you can buy in a jug at any grocery store, is a great product to add to whatever soap you use to wash your wetsuit. It should get rid of the smoke odor in your used wetsuit. It will smell like vinegar until it dries. When vinegar dries, it is completely odorless.

In my regular laundry, I add vinegar to each load and use whatever detergent. Vinegar is a great supplement to any laundry. It is a very effective cleaner!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom