Tobermory Trip in October - Advice Sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Newman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking to lead a group from our Southern Ontario-based Club up to Tobermory in October. I'd be grateful for advice on dive-friendly places to stay (at the budget end of the scale) and best operations to use / sites to dive.

We go with G&S Watersports (will be there Aug 29-Sept 1 :) ) See this post for some of the places we stay as well as to get an idea about what sites we dive.
Ber :lilbunny:

I have done couple of trips to Toby in October. We always stay at the Cyprus Lake Campground because there is almost no one there, and the rates are cheap. So far we have only dove shore dives, Tugs, wall, anchor ect as they have been family trips and not all of the people who come are divers. We have been lucky in October so far its not to cold to camp.

We did a weekend live-aboard last year on the Dawnlight, which was a great trip. Ray Davis, the owner and captain, is a great guy and runs a great operation. You can get in 7 or 8 dives in a couple of days and have the time to see the best sites the weather allows. They serve good food. Quarters are a little tight, but that's half the fun. Compared to staying at a motel and diving with one of the shops in Tobermory, it is also a great deal. They take 8-12 divers. Ray is a top-notch diver himself and he really knows the dive sites. Ray's SO, Courtney, is the first mate and cook. She does a great job taking care of the divers and really helps to make things go well. Last summer they had their little dachshund on the boat, running around in a little life jacket with a handle on the back. We had a great time and I would be doing this trip again with our LDS, but I have to go to a wedding that weekend. They run trips into November. Their website is http://www.tobermory.com.

Our LDS also has a land-based trip to Tobermory this year and I think we are diving with Diver's Den. I haven't had any experience with them yet, but I understand they are good.

I think I've seen that live-aboard if it's the one that docks behind the "Joseph Simon" (G&S boat). It looks like it would be a fun boat to do a short live-aboard on that's for sure.

Diver's Den is the other shop that's up there and they are good as well. I like G&S because the boat is huge and has a platform on the back that lowers into the water for easy exit (or entry if you want). I think the boat takes about 18 divers but when we went with them the most we had was 4. One of the days we went out both shops (G&S and Divers Den) were planning to go to the Arabia. The waves were 5-6 feet and mooring to the Arabia was not possible (buoys would have pulled off). We went to the Forest City instead, Diver's Den ended up doing 2 dives at a nearby shallow sheltered site (we went there for our second dive). That was one benefit of a big boat, it handled the waves well and got us to the Forest City which was sheltered by the island and the water was dead calm at the mooring.

You won't go wrong with either shop.

Since Toby is a dive town, it basically closes down after Labour Day. I've been there during Thanksgiving (Canadian) in October and had to actually call G&S for fills because both them & Divers Den were closed..

The restaurants & grocery store are closed as are most of the accomodations.

Just thought I'd pass that along...

We teach open water up in Tobermory through to the end of October. G&S is who we book our charters through - primarily on the Joseph Simon because of the space and the diver elevator :) . If you have a chance, talk to Bill, the captain. He's got a few stories for you....

Tobermory should still be reasonably open through to the end of October. It's actually a great time of year to go as the summer peak has already ended and the water and visibility is usually great then too.

Warren_L:
If you have a chance, talk to Bill, the captain. He's got a few stories for you....

Isn't that the guy who walks, talks and looks a little bit like the Captain in Jaws? :D I LOVED him!

I always book with Susan of Diver's Den, she is very accommodating and has the best boat (IMO). For places to stay, you can try Couch House Inn (just outside Toby) they have many rooms to put up a club and good rates. For in-town lodging, look up Peacock Villas.

Ber Rabbit:
Isn't that the guy who walks, talks and looks a little bit like the Captain in Jaws? :D I LOVED him!

Yep, that's the guy! I have a hard time understanding half the stuff he says, but he's friggin hilarious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom