too cold?? in Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey:
I did a Chicago area quarry dive (Haigh) two weeks ago and the water was 43 F. I was very comfortable in a 7 mil farmer john with gloves and hood.

The water in southern Indiana shouldn't be any colder than that, but it all depends on how you handle the water.

That's funny.. did u see the OW class that was there? The two dive instructors wore drysuits while their students wore wetsuits. These guys were in the water about 15 min for the drills and "tour". They literally sprinted out of the water. There was one poor gal who was shock white, blue lips and looked terrified after the first dive. She was mumbling to herself as she got out of her suit and tried to dry off.

crpntr133:
My LDS is doing a dive this weekend 4/18 and I want to go along but am thinking it might be too cold to dive wet. Of course there were a few that went out last month. Any comments on this one?
sorry about that How was Blue Springs?

scubadoguk:
sorry about that How was Blue Springs?

Official report! With a 7 mil wet suit it wasn't bad at all. Some dove a combination totaling 7 others just wore straight seven in one layer. Of course we also wore hoods, boots and gloves (mainly 5 mil). We weren't the only ones diving today. There had to have been at least 12 others diving.
Water temp was about 50 on the surface (around noon) and at 20ft it was 45 and didn't drop much down to 45ft. Viz was at least 25ft and the bass were out in schools. We dove off the far pier and they were all around us. Took a tour over to the car and swim thrus and there were more.
All in all we had a good time and only had one drop out on the second dive. More a combination of tired, suit too small, and not enough weight. So he scrubbed the second dive.
Thanks everybody for the info. :59:

Good to hear you liked it, now tell a few Friends please
lets get a few more divers out there :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom