Too old to service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eat your heart out!

Oldies but goldies | Facebook

521879_10150934000111225_1066459355_n.jpg

deleted

Last edited:
Brother Zung; I like! Please post the process.

The link mentioned that the owner had them gold plated, but did not say how it was done. I would assume it was done commercially. I am not sure if it was spray chrome or plated. I agree they look sharp. Was it you or Awap that had the regulars custom plated?

Au, I see. Gold plated. I thought perhaps someone removed the chrome plating, polished and clear coated the brass.

Yes, I had a couple of 109's re-chromed. The process was: strip to brass, polish, copper plate, nickel plate, and finally chrome plate.

109-1.jpg

When I first looked at then I thought the covers were polished brass too. The article really didn't talk that much about the second stages. Looking at them I would think that the other pieces were chromed also. Also the purge covers and the exhaust tees look new. It seems a bit silly to restore a 108, I would have restored another 109.

Actually I got a 108 in a set that I bought for a pilot, it sat for a year or so and then Zung kindly sent me a 108 diaphragm cover that I couldn't find, so I rebuilt it and it breathes really well, quite a bit better than the R190s I've had. I'd say they're worth rebuilding, I don't know about gold plating....

Gold plating only the cover is very smart: it looks cool, it's a lot less work than doing the whole reg, and it's tranferrable between any 108/109/156. Now who's game for doing a black one like this?

db_109_Military4.jpg

Regarding the 108, I just bought one for 10 bucks, basically for parts. Interestingly, this one uses a "normal" rubber cover and diaphragm, unlike halo's.

I have 4 108s. Two have the oval exhaust while two have the round exhaust. I did not notice anything special about the covers. What I did notice is that the purge is much firmer on the ones with the round exhaust.

I have another 108, a later one with adjustable orifice, that uses a standard 109 diaphragm and cover. I don't know if they're interchangeable with the other diaphragm; it would be a lever height issue. The one I have with the unusual diaphragm and cover does have a much stiffer purge.

Back
Top Bottom