Too soon to dive a wreck...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phaethon

Contributor
Reaction score
HMS Scylla will be scuttled today (hopefully) in Whitsand Bay, near Plymouth as Europe's first artificail reef. I was surprised to hear the reporter say it will be open for diving the day after...

How can this be? Surely some time must be given for the wreck to settle down and be inspected, especially since explosives will be used to scuttler her? Wouldn't the wreck have to be cleared for charges that may not have detonated before being opened to the public?

Cheers,

K.

"open for diving the day after" probably implies "if all goes well"?

it does sound awful fast, though... maybe a day or two to let her settle on the bottom?

What kind of ship is the Scylla? Any history behind it? Is it possible it was just flooded and explosive weren't used to sink it? Do you know how it settled? Is it upright or on the side, what kind of bottom etc. These things could really impact how soon it would be safe to dive.

BTW, I just recieved a new book "Lost Patrols, Submarine Wrecks of the English Channel" by Innes McCartney. Excellent source on history and locations of lost subs in the channel, an unbelievable variety. Unfortunately, sitting here in dry Denver, I can only dream about these dives.

octotat:
What kind of ship is the Scylla? Any history behind it? Is it possible it was just flooded and explosive weren't used to sink it? Do you know how it settled? Is it upright or on the side, what kind of bottom etc. These things could really impact how soon it would be safe to dive.
She's a decomissioned Frigate and was scheduled to be sunk today by explosive charges BBC Online report HERE and more pictures, pre-scuttling, HERE.

Adding pictures of the scuttling below.

Cheers,

K.

It all depends,

When they sank the Sea Star II also known as Duncans Wreck off the coast of Grand Bahama, divers watched her go down, and were on her before she stopped bubbling.

somewhere I have pics.

that's fast

Tavi:
It all depends,

When they sank the Sea Star II also known as Duncans Wreck off the coast of Grand Bahama, divers watched her go down, and were on her before she stopped bubbling.
What, you mean they weren't down there waiting for her already? Sitting on the bottom, forming an orderly queue, with sleeping bags and thermis flasks?

K.

Phaethon:
What, you mean they weren't down there waiting for her already? Sitting on the bottom, forming an orderly queue, with sleeping bags and thermis flasks?

K.

No, while the Bahamas is still under British influence, they don't neccesarily do things the same as the brits would :wink: . It seems a little smarter to wait for the ship to hit the bottom before you dive her,

She was inspected for unexploded explosives very soon after being sunk, public diving was scheduled for 5pm the following day! Although I couldn't imagine the visibility being very good. We're hoping to dive it next weekend!

wow thats cool it woud be asom to see the ship floting watch it sink and dive it. id be first in line if i didnt live in colorado and if i wasnt still in school

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom