Toronto Bouys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats OK! most divers just GPS it and drop down to her.

Amobeus

The Julia B is a classic 3 masted schooner off the Humber river that was burned and set afloat in1931.Its all burned away but the keel and some other parts are still there.Depth is 60 feet.

The Merril isn't too bad a wreck especially since it's so close to home.

It certainly isn't the Marsh or the Olive Branch but it is fun. One thing I distinctly remember was how cold it was near the bottom once you went through the thermocline.

As far as diving it these days, I have heard there are certain rules with the harbourmaster regarding access which maybe someone else on the board knows the details about.

I believe you have to register with the Toronto Police, Marine unit and provide a $15 fee that goes toward the Toronto Harbour Commission.

This wreck, 3 masted schooner (125'5"x26'5"x8'2") was burned down to its keel in 1931 sinking in approximatley 60 feet of water near the mouth of the Humber River (Sunnyside Park.)

The area that the wreck sits in is well known to be poor visibility and permission is required from Toronto Police prior to diving due to the visibility issues that arise quite often, as it is considered to be in the harbour.

The ship was sunk in what is stated to be a "viking-funeral-style spectacle.

The Lyman M Davis (123'x27'2"x9'4") was a two masted schooner that was also set ablaze for spectacle in 148 feet of water. The visibility is very poor at this site as well.

She was set ablaze in June 1934 and is burnt right down to the keel as well. With the large amount of silt that is present this wreck is not too much to look at.

Permission is also required by Toronto Police for this dive.

Dive safe,

Do you need a boat for these or can they be done as shore dives?

I took a reading with the GPS when we left the boat launch. these wrecks are both just a little over 2 KM out.

The deal with permits is that you have to file with the harbour master for your permit. This is because you are diving within the harbour and they need to know of any boats which might impeed traffic. They will advise other boats who might query the harbourmaster as hey aproach the harbour.

When you are ready to launch your boat you call the Toronto police marine unit and tell them that you have a permit on file with the harbour master.

You will have to provide them with the purpose of your dive, how many divers etc.

when you get back and are on land you must notify the marine unit again.

be sure to have your paperwork handy as they cn ask for it any time.

I was personally kicked off of a dive site last week for not having my paperwork.

their jurisdiction ends at the humber river.

silt is bad here so be careful

also, some of the dive shops int he area already have permits set up and they will carry all of the paperwork and do the telephone stuff for you.

so for this reason it is nice to go on a charter as there is less BS with the harbour master and police.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom