Tough Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamheatwave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We are planning a trip for late October. The dates are already locked now all we have to do is decide where. I asked my travel agent to get quotes for three destinations:
1) Mexico
2) Cayman
3) Bonaire

The Mexico trip we do twice a year and when we do Mexico we also venture down to Belize for a couple days as part of that trip. We are also going back to Mexico / Belize in the spring so this is an opportunity to go somewhere new. So... if you had 8 Days would you go to Cayman or Bonaire?

The hotels she quoted are:
Treasure Island on Grand Cayman
Divi Flamingo Beach Resort in Bonaire

The only problem is I want to book this in the next 24-48 hourse because I don't want to lose the great rates. At those prices they will go quick.

Any information about the diving, the people, the non-diving activities recommened dive ops or hotel opinions are appreciated.

I know it may bug you that I have another suggestion....not answering your question....but have you considered Barbados ?? They have some great deals and both the above and below water activities and sites are great.
Just a thought.
rich

Just a matter of personal preference I guess... I would most definitely go to Cayman for many reasons in addition to the great diving. It is one of the safest places I have ever been to (diving or not), the people are truly friendly and helpful and there is lots to do topside. The turtle farm, hell, the botanical gardens, Pedro Castle, the Cayman Museum, Sting Ray City, Rum Point.... you can dive, kayak, snorkel, just lay on the beach... great restaurants and way cool local food. And for those who like it, the shopping is there.

Do you have to stay in the West end where all the tourists go, or would you consider a property in the East End (the quiet and still local end)? There are several villas and condos that offer a very nice and relaxed holiday.

The East End also offers incredible diving and there are three (that I can remember) operators there, but I have been going to the island for about 10 years and will not even think of using anybody other than Ocean Frontiers.

PM me if I can offer you any additional information.

Maria

P.S. And yes, I have been to Bonaire as well. The diving is very different and also has great things to offer. As I said at the beginning of the post, it is a matter of personal preference.

I have been to both islands several times. Both are unique and are great dive destinations.

If I had a choice it would be The Caymans. Of the 3 Cayman islands Little Cayman has the most dramatic walls and best diving. The last time I was in Cayman I was on the Aggressor and was able to dive all three islands. Grand Cayman is great as well but lots of divers on the reefs but I would go back in a heartbeat. If you can stay on the north or east end it is less crowded.

Caymans. Little Cayman if you can get to it.

teamheatwave:
Hi Everyone,

. So... if you had 8 Days would you go to Cayman or Bonaire?

Go Caymans,try Little cay and cayman brac too. Didn't you just go to Curacao a few months ago? I say forget Mexico if you are already doing that 2 times a year. I hear Tresure Island is great, I never have been with them, I have always stuck with Sunset House. Whatever you choose, have a great time. I leave for Curacao next Thursday and will be there for 11 days. I'll post a trip report with PICS when I return.

Marisa-t

To everyone who posted a reply, thank you.

I will start with Rich - No, you didn't bug me. far from that. The suggestions and advice from this board is great and I am always open to ideas. I have in fact I have a friend who lives there and offers me to stay there whenever I want. from what I have researched or heard, the island is very beautiful and the people are great. It is on the list of places I want to visit. While it didn't make the top, it is up there. Maybe next year.

I can't go wrong picking Bonaire or Caymen as they both offer incredible diving. And if going to Cayman, I am not locked into staying at Treasure Island. But the deal I was offered is too hard to pass up. Staying at a different location right now would "up" the price or shorten our trip. I will use the time there wisely and check out other areas for future visits as I am sure I will be back.

So, it looks like we will probably be choosing Cayman. Anyone who will be there late October or early November and wants to meet up, please feel free to PM me.

As always, great advice. Thanls again

Before you dash off...

Your time frame is in the Huricane Season.

For some lucky islands, this translates (usualy) to the "rainy season".

Bonaire is among that list, along with Aruba, Curacao, San Andres, Corn, and the Bay Islands (Roatan, Guanaja, Utila).

If October is your main specification, you might want to consider that.

Hey RoatanMan, Thanks for the heads up but the trip is only the last 3 days of October and the first several days of November. So I think I'm pretty safe. I learned that one about 8 or 9 years ago :) After the 3rd - 4th week of October passes the odds are pretty good. But I do appreciate the warning.

teamheatwave:
Hey RoatanMan, Thanks for the heads up but the trip is only the last 3 days of October and the first several days of November. So I think I'm pretty safe. I learned that one about 8 or 9 years ago :) After the 3rd - 4th week of October passes the odds are pretty good. But I do appreciate the warning.

We'll be watching the Weather Channel and hoping for sunny skies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom