Traffic in Hawaii is RIDICULOUS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopaka:
That'd work, but some of us got that M-F, 8-5 job thingee going on, while ya'll are out diving.:tired:

We be creating that rush hour, you see!

Yeah, I work Friday 2PM till Sunday 10PM....I only have to fight it on Friday.

SKTIDH:
Well you see... I've noticed that people don't like to merge here.. at all! When they see your blinker on thats their cue to speed up!
Well, as irritating as that is, it makes some sense, beyond ego. I remember "traffic school" in SoCal (to get a ticket erased), and the topic of the moment was safe following distance. The CHP guy doing the class admitted it was a joke on L.A. freeways, as you would have so many cars jumping in front of you that you'd eventually be going backward. Cars continually jumping in (often needlessly) has a ripple effect as you have to slow up a bit, the guy behind a bit more, etc. Screws up the flow with too many cars jumping into a lane. See it every morning on H1 west getting near Kapiolani exit: "clever fellows" that zoom up the K exit lanes to bypass the slower through lanes merge into the slow lane at the last minute, bringing the whole lane to damn near a standstill. Just staying in one lane unless there is a good reason to move does not occur to these clowns, and a lot of drivers are wise to them.

I try to wait until there is a good size gap to do a move, so as to not screw up the flow. Alien concept to many as you have found.

Edit: About signaling, I am sure if you drove in L.A. that using a signal to show intent to change lanes was to guarantee never getting over. I learned to avoid the blinker so as to not tip them off.:14: I see a lot more courtesy here, even to a few pushy types that should not be accomodated so nicely.

jvdk01:
How could you possibly be angry when they cut you off if they go through the effort of throwing a shaka your way after the fact.
I prefer to call it the Hawaiian Turn Signal.

No merging, I agree. Gotta change lanes stealth.

hey..it's the same at Cosco, haven't you noticed?

using a signal to show intent to change lanes was to guarantee never getting over. I learned to avoid the blinker so as to not tip them off.

I doubt I used mine in 15 years there.

Hawaii traffic is pretty chill in comparison to any major city. And I would have to say the same for the typical driver. If you are getting upset over Hawaiian road affairs...you are probably gonna blow a fuse anywhere else.

I think a big part of the problem with traffic in the islands is a lot of overflow traffic from California highways is winding up in Hawaii.

Oahu/Metro Honolulu traffic is actually pretty tame compared to places in the world like Manila Philippines: absolute macroscopic Brownian Motion Chaos 24/7:11:

bvmjethead:
Cry me a freaking river dude!

YOU LIVE IN HAWAII!

Quit your cryin!

Yeah... so some of us live in Hawaii... yeah it's great, but would you like to pay $6 for a gallon of milk or $500,000.00 on a house you could get on the mainland for $200,000.00. Also, remember living on an island limits you to what you can do as far as travel. I lived in Florida for 17 years and it wasn't but a couple hundred $'s for me to go on a road trip to Michigan for a ski trip rather than estimating the $900 plane ticket and rental car purchase if I flew from Hawaii.

It's great, but like anywhere else... it has it's downfalls.

I could never understand why people complain about the cost of living in Hawaii. You moved to an island within US territory whose economy is largely based on tourism. What the heck did you expect, no traffic and cheap milk? Its an island...things just cost more. Figured that would be a given, not something left in the open to complain about.

Back
Top Bottom