Trainer killed at Seaworld

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shut down all zoos, is this the solution to the problem? With the recession we are in, what happens to all the individuals that lose their jobs?

We are quick to point fingers to both sides, what needs to take place is reformation; rules and regulations that change and reiforce best practices for both sides.

Let us be politically correct and make an informed decision that caters to both sides.

Much harder to find solutions to this mass problem that we have, but most are quicker to take the easier solution, close all zoos.

When the Jewish Death Camps in Nazi Germany were shut down, there were 'job losses' involved there too...so not all job losses are a bad thing!

Maybe SeaWorld doesn't want to keep the whale either?

Just a thought but it appears at least on the surface that they're now stuck with a huge and expensive liability in the form of a killer whale that cannot be trusted to be with any trainers, that still requires food and a place to live.

They might come to the conclusion that there is no winning for this Orca.

um, the Japanese will pay good $ for the privilege of conducting 'whale research' on it.

With the ongoing success of reality TV shows, I think it would be a great idea to do an "Orca Survival Show".

Throw 10 contestants into the tank and see which tough guy can last the longest in the tank with the Killer Whale that EATS PEOPLE.

For added interest, let them wear Scuba gear and maybe give them a few rudementary weapons or something.

Last one alive gets a million bucks or something. The proceeds from the advertising revenue go to pay for the upkeep costs of the whale, it doesn't have to be euthanized.

Heck I'd watch it

I'm seein' a new computer video game possibility here.

When the Jewish Death Camps in Nazi Germany were shut down, there were 'job losses' involved there too...so not all job losses are a bad thing!

Wow,

You bring in history to the equation, I'm proud of you... But lets not use genocide on a massive scale to compare to the accidental death of one trainer...

Thanks, for understanding my point of view. I was originally posting about a comment made earlier about shutting down entire Zoo's.

Here is a brilliant statement made by someone who inspired me as a child:

Ironic that this clip is a response to the first death attributed to this animal:shocked2: Interesting how heated things have gotten over this.

Hindsight is 20/20 and we can not apply today's standards and knowledge to yesterday's events. We will no doubt look back in 30 years from now and see how wrong the decisions of today are by future standards.

I agree many people have become interested in and commited to conservation efforts as a result of exposure to creatures in Zoos and Aquariums. We have learned a lot from those poor "sacrificial creatures" just like we have learned from humans who have undergone medical procedures before they were perfected. At least the humans had choices... if death .. or let's try this new procedure is a choice!

The reality is .. we are in the present and we need to find well thought out and humane ways to correct the injustices of the past. Setting this creature free to die slowly in a freedom it does not understand how to survive is not humane! It may give warm fuzzies to some to think of it "enjoying freedom" but the solution is not that easy. Emptying Zoos of the large predators by attrition is really the only humane option... take care of the ones in captivity but do not replace them.

As Thal has so eloquently explained... it is vital that handlers be sensitive to the moods, personalities and needs of these individuals.

It is tragic to hear of this death.. it is worse to condemn the animal for following instincts. I don't believe this was an event of "Playing" and accidentally drowning the toy based on the many films I have seen where wild Orcas kept prey from reaching the surface to breathe to kill it. :duck:

just a thought but if that had been a dog that killed three people the state would put the animal down. but the taxes collected fro seaworld will take that option off the table

"But for the news media to say "killer whale goes on attack and kills trainer" is irresponsible, and sensationalism."

In all the reports I have seen, including statements from audience members who saw the incident, the above statement is dead-on accurate. Not irresponsible or sensationalism. Factual.

Its amazing how the news media sensationalizes things...and gets it wrong too.

1) It wasn't a child that got killed in the 90's. There was an incident at the first park in Canada that this killer whale was at: Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria, Canada (now closed). A female trainer slipped and fell into the tank with this killer whale...which goes by the name: Tillikum. Apparently they didn't do any "in-water training" with their killer whales, and the whales in the pool might have held her down...which the trainer drowned.

2) The other incident that happened: a homeless man snuck into the park after hours and got in the tank with Tillikum. The temperature in the tank is kept at 55 degrees, so the man died from hypothermia.

I know this is a tragic incident, but not all the facts are in. But for the news media to say "killer whale goes on attack and kills trainer" is irresponsible, and sensationlism. This is no different than everything there is any kind of a shark attack...and the news media always displays a great white shark in the story..whether it is relevant or not.

Lock Washer

I been watching this story unfold in the media. What amazes me is the headlines and the the sensationlism: "Trainer killed by whale at Sea World"..."Killer Whale attacks and kills trainer". "Whale kills again". Plus they have every "Joe Sixpack's" opinion which is irrevelent to the issue. Then they have the news media polls..."should killer whales be kept in captivity". Enough! This is an issue that Sea World has to deal with, and hopefully prevent anymore incidents from happening.

But I will say this much. It was Sea World that pioneered invetro fertilization with killer whales, and it was Tilikum that was involved that made it a success. Jack Hanna said it best on CBS News this morning. "When population of wild killer whales drops below 200 individuals...someone will come knocking on Sea World's door to look at their breeding techniques."

Lock Washer

Where's any innacurate statement in what you call "sensationalism?"

What would you accept? "Whale loves trainer to death?"

I for one was happy to hear today that Seaworld have announced the animal will not be put down

I for one was happy to hear today that Seaworld have announced the animal will not be put down

I would have been surprised if they had decide to put him down, being their breeding bull and worth millions of dollars. It sounds like the trainer wasn't following their protocol when the incident happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom