training path suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called them yesterday, and called them today (and couldn't leave a message either day) and then Bob told me they are closed Sunday and Monday . . . I will be really bummed if the class is already full :(

THANKS to all of you for all your suggestions.Thats what makes this board so great.Thanks gain!

If you are wanting to improve there can't be enough good said about the DIR-Fundies class IMHO.

Take everyone's opinion in, determine where it comes from and then decide for yourself.

In my case I too am a newbie, certified about a year ago, with each dive had fun and practiced what I thought was "good technique" and even received lots of compliments at how well I was doing (trim & bouyancy wise), took the DIR-F class and realized how far from the mark I was, and how far I could develop those skills. Without the class I would have had no idea what was possible. Heard and observed similar thoughts from other folks in the class, some of whom had been diving for more than 6 years, cave certified, etc... It will be much easier for you to learn good habits now than wait and try to unlearn.

Since when did ScubaBoard become a DIR-F recruitment propoganda forum? I recommend you do some research into the various agencies out there, and if DIR-F is right for you, go for it. I'm not DIR-F, nor do I care to be. I like my scuba set-up the way I have it, not the way someone else expects me to. Search the agencies, then find an instructor that meets your learning style. People may tell you to get more logged dives and work on your buoyancy control, but IMHO, you may need some instruction to perfect your buoyancy in the first place. Discuss your options with your LDS. After all, you'll probably be returning to them for gear purchases and tank fills.

Firebrand:
Since when did ScubaBoard become a DIR-F recruitment propoganda forum?
I was wondering that too... :06: Frankly I could care less about how someone has THEIR gear arranged, as long as I know where everything is prior to splashing. I have enough drama in my life, that I really don't care whether my gear is the way they like it or to listen (well, read really) the debates about this way or that way. I say dive & let dive. Information & education are great. I am all for continued learning, but just because I do it my way doesn't mean I am wrong. I thought diving was supposed to be about diving ones "comfort level" not the way a certain group believes it should be done. If I am not comfortable in my gear, I am not going to be a confident diver, regardless of whether it is set up "the right way".

Recruiting for DIR . . . ?

Seems to me that this thread alone shows that, at least on Scubaboard, there is a whole population of people diving who feel that their skills aren't what they would like them to be, or who aspire to be better. I'm among them. And if you ask the question, "Where can I go to get more rigorous and productive training than what I have had?", you come up against the "it depends on the instructor" idea -- unless you are talking DIR, where even its detractors seem to admit that the standards are kept high.

TSandM:
Recruiting for DIR . . . ?

Seems to me that this thread alone shows that, at least on Scubaboard, there is a whole population of people diving who feel that their skills aren't what they would like them to be, or who aspire to be better. I'm among them. And if you ask the question, "Where can I go to get more rigorous and productive training than what I have had?", you come up against the "it depends on the instructor" idea -- unless you are talking DIR, where even its detractors seem to admit that the standards are kept high.
I agree with their standards, just not their philosophy. I have done my research and decided that DIR-F isn't for me. It may be for others, but I have my reasons. It's just that whenever someone asks, usually a whole mass of people say, "GO DIR-F!" without giving reasons WHY someone should, or offering other advice about talking to the LDS, or checking out other agencies & instructors. DIR-F ISN'T the only "right" way of diving.

If you jump in the water and come back alive, you must have done something right. Who cares how you did it?

I don't subscribe to the DIR methodology either. As soon as I hear someone (or a group) say "the only right way to ...." automatically negates credibility in my opinion. I would suggest you avoid DIR classes to get a more balanced exposure to diving configurations and options. There is no single right way to scuba dive. We all have similar challenges to overcome in diving and there are many different ways to manage those challenges. Take great ideas from all sources - which will indeed include DIR techniques or configurations.

--Matt

In order to get away from the "agency" discussion - here are the skills which were the most helpful "for me" to have been taught (I'm still working on mastering them) right after BOW (not listed in any particular order):

A) Bouyancy control and proper weighting
B) Doing all skills in mid-water column
C) Proper trim and how to adjust your trim as your bouyancy changes during the dive.
D) Developing good situational awareness
E) Good Buddy Skills
F) Finning techniques for various environments (ie. silty, low energy consumption, currents, etc..)
G) Blue water ascents and descents without needing a downline.
H) Proper gas management
I) Learn why as much (or more so) than the how to's

And a video of yourself doing skills is imo invaluable as an objective teaching aid. I was mildly frustrated at all my instructors telling me how good I was... I was brand new and knew that I had lots to learn... when I saw video of myself (yes in DIR-F) I was able to see my shortcoming first hand, very clearly and I keep that image in mind now so I know what my natural tendencies are in order to get a jump on problems before they come up.

Once you've aquired the tools to learn these basic skills, then you can have more fun in a safer manner no matter what you decide to do next, be it night diving, deep diving, photography, etc..

And don't forget to just go diving!

Have fun,
Tim

P.S. I most likely forgot several things, so perhaps others can chime in on what skills they have found most beneficial to have been taught - then seek out an instructor that teaches as many of them as possible...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom