training path suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
In order to get away from the "agency" discussion - here are the skills which were the most helpful "for me" to have been taught (I'm still working on mastering them) right after BOW (not listed in any particular order):

A) Bouyancy control and proper weighting
B) Doing all skills in mid-water column
C) Proper trim and how to adjust your trim as your bouyancy changes during the dive.
D) Developing good situational awareness
E) Good Buddy Skills
F) Finning techniques for various environments (ie. silty, low energy consumption, currents, etc..)
G) Blue water ascents and descents without needing a downline.
H) Proper gas management
I) Learn why as much (or more so) than the how to's

Quite right ... that's a good list. And there are other avenues for learning those skills than DIR-F, although it can then be completely dependent on the instructor you get. One of the reasons people are so big on DIR-F is that you are pretty much guaranteed a good class, no matter who you get for an instructor.

However you choose to learn them ... whether it be a DIR-F class, or with a competent mainstream instructor, or simply through diving with a mentor, these are core skills that should be developed by anyone who wants to consider themselves a competent, self-sufficient diver.

BTW - an important one that's not on that list, and should be, is underwater navigation. And you won't learn that skill in a Fundies class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

kidspot:
In order to get away from the "agency" discussion - here are the skills which were the most helpful "for me" to have been taught (I'm still working on mastering them) right after BOW (not listed in any particular order):

A) Bouyancy control and proper weighting
B) Doing all skills in mid-water column
C) Proper trim and how to adjust your trim as your bouyancy changes during the dive.
D) Developing good situational awareness
E) Good Buddy Skills
F) Finning techniques for various environments (ie. silty, low energy consumption, currents, etc..)
G) Blue water ascents and descents without needing a downline.
H) Proper gas management
I) Learn why as much (or more so) than the how to's

And a video of yourself doing skills is imo invaluable as an objective teaching aid. I was mildly frustrated at all my instructors telling me how good I was... I was brand new and knew that I had lots to learn... when I saw video of myself (yes in DIR-F) I was able to see my shortcoming first hand, very clearly and I keep that image in mind now so I know what my natural tendencies are in order to get a jump on problems before they come up.

Once you've aquired the tools to learn these basic skills, then you can have more fun in a safer manner no matter what you decide to do next, be it night diving, deep diving, photography, etc..

And don't forget to just go diving!

Have fun,
Tim

P.S. I most likely forgot several things, so perhaps others can chime in on what skills they have found most beneficial to have been taught - then seek out an instructor that teaches as many of them as possible...

THANKS for the list of skills to pratice.I am sure that these will be very beneficial.And yes I would be interested in seeing other skills that divers found most beneficial

...BTW - an important one that's not on that list, and should be, is underwater navigation. And you won't learn that skill in a Fundies class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Which still gives me LOTS of trouble... I can keep track of which direction to shore, but need to do better than that. My AOW instructor did a lot of nav with me, but I need(ed) a lot more still. Especially on unfamiliar sites. Hard to be comfortable when you don't know exactly where you're at...

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom