Transfill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also better in the future. Even the Explorer can carry trimix, just like my old KISS GEM.

For portability, I wouldnt use a small compressor to drive the Haskel, you'll pump too much moisture into it, and you really need around a 15cfm compressor to adequately drive a booster.(Depending on the size of the booster)

Just use scuba tanks to drive the booster.

Isnt the Explorer just a glorified SCR? If so, it'll take trimix.

How does that deal with the O2 filling of your rebreather O2 tank. I dont knowa lot about rebreathers but do you use that much diluant to need more than one 130 tank to transfer from?

The compressor might be an idea.
I have my gas blender ticket.

I meant booster.
The explorer uses a single 40 cu ft tank. I would fill my spare 130's with nitrox, then head to the lake for the weekend.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

A compressor and nitrox stick would help at home.
No need to hit the dive shop.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2014 at 08:39 PM ----------

Isnt the Explorer just a glorified SCR? If so, it'll take trimix.

It is an eSCR. It could take trimix.
Not going to try though. It's only rated to 130 feet. Not much need for trimix at that depth.

other option is since you have each of those tanks you could sidemount them and leave the 40 in the breather and just dive that way depending on how the unit is constructed and how long each of your dives are. For shorter dives you shouldn't see that much of an imbalance and it would give you more bailout that way too

The scrubber is good for two hours.
Bottom time is not the concern.
It's re filling the 40 cu ft for the explorer, at the lake. Far from the shop.
Another idea would be to sell the 130's and buy 2 or 3 more 40's.
My two 40's good for 4, 1hour dives.

if you're only using 20cf/dive, you might just want to sidemount your existing bottles. Hook one up to the breather, and have the other with an OC sidemount setup for mixed team, and/or bailout. Also would be good practice for when you get to deco carrying stages. 130's are a bit beefy, but youshould be able to offload those no problem. Someone in NC was selling a pair of PST HP80's on cdf or tds and they haven't moved yet. If you are close enough to the US border it might be worth looking into

No sense hooking anything larger than the 40 mounted to the unit.
It will out last the scrubber.
I also carry a alumn 40 for off board bailout.
hy2azaje.jpg

the point is to outlast the scrubber. You sidemount the large bottles, and instead of transfilling where without a compressor you can never get all of that gas out, you sidemount the large bottles. You said you use 20cf/dive based on scrubber duration. Diving the 130's, you can get 11 dives off of just those tanks leaving a decent reserve and you would then use the 40 in the unit as last resort bailout. Leave the 40 in the system to keep the balance right, and since it's only 20cf, you won't ever notice the weight difference since it's only 1.5lbs. 130's might be a little excessive, but people sidemount them all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom