Transpac single tank height

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, some tank valves are taller/longer than other tank valves.

The reg hits the back of my head a little bit, but not that much. One thing for sure, I can reach back and grab the valve handle to either close or open it with ease.

my final thoughts are the tanks needs to be further away from your back, not just lower. I made
some insertion rubber (8 mm conveyor rubber, very dense and negative) packers about
150 x 50 which fit through the tank straps. I used three,( 6 in total- 2 bands) packing it out about 25mm) you
could use more or less, but I reckon you don't need to move the tank much really
I haven't dived with it yet but I am very confident it will solve the issue. It also equals about 1 lb in weight
and the tank seems to do up well and uses up most of the length of excess strap

I just got a Transpac, I dive a single steel Faber 10.5 L tank.
There isnt much room to lower the tank to stop it hitting me in the back of the
head, are there any other adjustments possible with the harness to get the top tank band a bit lower......

One common issue is how divers don the rig. If you've been diving a Jacket Style BCD, folks will often don the BCD, tighten the shoulders and then the waist strap. With the TransPac, especially if you don't have a proper fitted crotch strap, this will hoist the rig higher onto your frame and thus give you "tank head".

Instead, loosen all the TransPac attachment points. Don the rig, close the chest strap FIRST. Next, tighten the waist strap at or below your natural waist line. Attach the crotch strap and make sure it is snug, yet comfortable. Finally cinch the shoulder straps. If you cinch the shoulder straps to soon, the rig rides up your body.

You can wear the rig with only one cam strap, if comfortable for you as long as you make sure the rig is secure when you cam the strap down. However, usually revising how you don the rig will take care of the problem.

As some posts have mentioned, you might also flip your first stage to a horizontal (or alternate) position and make sure the TransPac is fitted to you and not too big or small.

Let me know how it goes and I am happy to help further,
Kathleen

did a couple of dives using my new rubber packers. They are great.
Forgot all about the regs until I got out the water and thought ...nothing
hitting anywhere. The tank does up better as well. If anyone wants a photo let me know

I had the same problem. I ended up leaving the top strap loose, but it was a pain becuase people kept warning me that my cylinder was "falling"; other divers would even try to fix it for me DURING the dive.

So what i did was purchase a pair of sex bolts to secure the wing to the transpac. I then removed the top strap completely. Problem solved.

Cheers,

A.

The problem for me appears to be caused simply by the design of the Rec EXP wing, whilst it will convert for single tank use, it is really designed for twins.

When using mine with a single I find that there is no room to get the first stage in. his is caused by the fact that, unlike a jacket bcd,the blader traverses accross the top plus the elbow exits nearer the center to put it in good position for twins but ends up being in a horrible position for singles, pushing right up against the hoses exiting the first stage. The only solution I have found is to use 15l single as the extra height means I can clear the top of the wing and still have cam bands on the tank. With anything smaller the valve position is dictated by where the tank sits so that the cam bands are on the tank.

I still maintain this is a design omision in the Transpac. It would be a very minor design amendnent to offer alternate webbing cam band slots on the back plate so the bands could be moved up or down depending on tank size. Remembe, with a 12l or less, the tank can only sit in one spot or only one band will be infull contact with tank metal.

What ScubaRon and Kathleen (from DiveRite) said is exactly right. Check out the fitting video:
TransPac Scuba Diving Harness How to Get a Proper Fit: Dive Rite - YouTube

some fundamental points:

Secure the waistbelt around your hips. Any higher and it completely negates the idea of the hiking backpack-style of the Transpac harness. As someone who always used rental jacket-style BCs in the past, I know its very easy to make the mistake of cinching the straps really tight, making the tank rise up at the back

Ensure that the tank is as low in the dual cam-straps as possible.

If the harness does not fit with the waistbelt around your hips and the shoulder straps at- or just above the nipple then the SHOULDERSTRAPS NEED TO BE LENGTHENED. This is the first thing i did with my TransPac and it works really well now. do not be afraid to completely rethread the shoulderstraps (one at a time so you can see how its supposed to be =P ) to get the right fit, and the d-rings and epaulettes sitting where you want em.

also the crotchstrap is really important to stop the tank riding up when you're in the water

Last edited:
I have a transpac and I too have this issue, after reading all the great info, I then watched the video supplied by refract and now I am thinking sizing could be a large part of the issue. Thanks for all the great info!

Hi Seedy,

Thanks for posting. We are actually going to produce a video in Sept that might help with this question. There are several reasons this could be happening.

First, make sure that you are donning your TransPac as another poster has already suggested. Be sure to loosen all the straps (chest, waist and shoulder) first. Slide into the harness and then lean forward and allow your body to support the weight of the tank (vs. a table or bench, etc.). Next fasten the chest strap making sure it rides at a 90 degree angle. Then the waist and crotch strap. Finally, tighten the shoulders. Often times, folks will tighten the shoulders first which "hikes" the rig up higher on the torso OR they don the rig with the tank sitting on a table/bench which can also create that "hike".

Next, make sure the sideplates of the TransPac are in position so that the back of the TransPac does not ride up on the back. A lot of times, divers will position the sideplates really far back, but not realize that this can also create the entire rig to angle upwards toward the back. Have someone look at your profile...the bottom of the TransPac should be parallel all the way around and not dip or rise. Make sense?

If you the above doesn't work, you can remove the top cam strap. While it's nice to have two, the TransPac doesn't require two for stability nor security. However, I think if you are properly sized, wearing a crotch strap, don the tank as suggested and the sideplates are adjusted you'll be in good shape.

Feel free to send pics to me at kathleen@diverite.com.

Best,
Kathleen

I complained about the same thing to my LDS. They recommended that I wear my weight in my BCD weight pockets instead of on my weight belt. That helped. My head stopped bumping into my tank valve.

Back
Top Bottom